A little warning if you're buying Ohlins

DFV is a great choice as long as you aren't after making it into a proper full-on race shock later on.  As it can't be made that.  It's a great road and track shock and not loads of confusing adjustment so a very good choice.  But we are talking small amounts between best and not so good.  When 0.2 seconds gives you 8 places up the grid it's important.  Enthusiast not so much

This hit the nail one the head. Anyone would think you know what you are doing Tim :)

If you want to have leisurely tracks day and do a few TSS where you spent most of your non driving time chatting to others and enjoying the time, I think the ohlins are great.

If you want to spend the time doing data logs, lap after lap making adjustments to perfect the setup, then you want more adjustability.

Bilstein MDS info:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2315640

FWIW the exact same R&T Ohlins (same technology different rate of course) are sold as an upgrade to the £120k Porsche 997 GT3 they are that good.

Yeah you can get the Ohlins for £1628 without the top mounts. I spoke to Aurok a little while back and they said Ohlins arnt planning on making as many top mounts and they add £1k to the price of the car.

Can get ohlin ttx from Germany. I believe these were from a TMG CUp car

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohlins-Racing-Fahrwerk-Toyota-GT-86-2-fach-verstellbar-/121024774904

The motorsport stuff needs fairly regular rebuilds and have a large damping range for a lot of different spring rates to suit the application. Its up the team/driver to determine the damping settings and spring rates.

Yes Nige, Aurok can revalve the Ohlins if you want a different springs. Bare in mine you have about 25% room for different springs on the valving they come with. I know Racecomp engineering in the US have put 8kg springs on the Ohlins and they loved them.

The AST 5100/200/300 are another affordable option (£2k-£4k)

http://www.ast-suspension.co.uk/shop/shockabsorbers/5200?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=186&Itemid=786&select_item=139_185&select_item_139_185=140_186

The AST is great track stuff and the local dealer is 10 miles up the road from Nigel.  Had quite a few customers winning races on these in the past.  AST owns Moton and only reason i went for the Moton is the bigger piston diameter and hence greater range of adjustment.  So i can use it on road or track and not be too harsh for road on those days.

I just measured my Ohlins, they are also 44.5mm. Obviously I cant measure the actual pushrod size on the front but the rears are 14mm.

Yeap there are only a couple hypercars that come with dampers thay good. That lambo is one and the pangani zonda is the other I think. Not sure if they are adjustable though.

The road and track dampers are a £2k upgrade on one of the renualtsports which is the fastest fwd production to lap the nurburgring.

I noticed in an Ohlins promo vid on YouTube that they only supply Lambo and Pagani as OEM equipment.

I looked closely at the pics Chillismoke put up yesterday to confirm, but couldn't see any logo's on them? Chillismoke has just proven this in post number 30.

I've been trolling the net trying to find a vid or pics of a DFV strip down. Does anyone know of such a film or site? I certainly can't find it.