Sign in to follow this  
adamj29

Towing Eye Cover - Painting Issue

Just a bit of a warning, I damaged my existing front towing eye cover when I was at Oulton Park a while back (It got crushed in my boot). I went to my local Toyota garage in Wrexham to order a new one which was only a few pound, however to spray it would cost me £42 in total. I wanted a proper job to be done, and even though they couldn't guarantee an exact match (Pearl White) to my existing bumper I thought It would be my best option.

However I recieved the cover the other day and upon having it put on the car, there is a complete difference in the white colour and it stands out like a sore thumb (the picture doesn't show it for what it is).
I could notice the difference from the other side of the carpark at work, It's a lot lighter, and looks like more of a plain white than pearl. I went back to toyota and complained but as it says there was no guarantee I dont have a leg to stand on.

post-563-0-04438200-1435148265_thumb.jpg

post-563-0-31612400-1435148270_thumb.jpg

Maybe I'm a bit too much of a perfectionist when it comes to paint! Heyho, I'm £42 lighter and bitter as a lemon  ;)  Just a warning to anyone who is after any small items to be sprayed by Toyota, there is a VAST difference in colour!!!!

In all fairness, your old one probably didn't match either, you just never noticed it. White problems! 

My five axis kit is the wrong colour aswell :D, but i'm planning on getting it all re-fitted and blended in properly next year, along with my dodgy lights.

Guarantee or not, if they re-painted the bumper and tried to sell the car looking like that it would sit on their forecourt for weeks!

I'd expect it to look like that if it hadn't been painted.

that's terrible, you should invest in what Rob has on his car instead

attachicon.gifsmaller.jpg

True good point, actually Rob do you mind telling me where you got your towing hook from? It looks great, I painted my OEM towing eye red with caliper paint as a temporary measure for the last few week  :P And you've done a great job modifying your cover to fit the towing eye!!

My original towing eye was pretty much the same color to be honest, maybe a slight variation, but if you saw this in person I'm sure you would cringe. If Toyota can't get a close match then they should not be offering this service full stop, or make the customer aware that they could be a vast difference...(must stop ranting now...but it feels so goooood)

Yes It was due to expensive cost that I saw my bum about it. But I've just had a call off the main tech guy there called Nigel. Very helpful and apologetic, and explained a few of my options. I mentioned that in the short future I may be purchasing a front splitter, and he has advised that when I do he will spray the splitter and front bumper and look after me as such.

I'm pleased with the out come, but for anyone else out there who is considering getting something touched up in pearl white, just be careful. They cannot get close to a match, especially if it is only a small area!

Will any pearl, you cannot match it 100%, it needs to be blended. When I had my side hit, I had to have the entire half of my car blended in pretty much so that it wasn't noticeable! 

As for the towing hook adam, it's made by raceseng, i'm fairly sure I got it from them direct as their shipping was the cheapest. Still worked out at £170 odd after taxes, but it's a well machined piece. 

http://www.raceseng.com/

they also do ones with gopro mounting clamps.

So it's worth noting when they do paint your entire bumper, ask them to blend it in to the front arches as otherwise it's not going to match.

I have the boot lid off my 2014 car on my 2012 car, both pearl white, the match is perfect.

Adam, if your cover is as new, other than the colour, I'll gladly swap it for mine as it is original pearl white and mint. My project car will be getting repainted a different colour.

I have the boot lid off my 2014 car on my 2012 car, both pearl white, the match is perfect.

Adam, if your cover is as new, other than the colour, I'll gladly swap it for mine as it is original pearl white and mint. My project car will be getting repainted a different colour.

Hi Nigel, that would be great mate, I'll PM you. Thanks very much!

Rob, I love it! And the idea of the GoPro mount is extremely tempting, cracking idea.

Your new cover is in the post Adam.

You may well get it tomorrow. Please send the one you don't want back to me at the address in the packaging. Please also make sure you don't damage it getting it out of the bumper.

Thanks Nigel, received it today. I've just messaged you, I will send back mine over the weekend and don't worry it will be taken off with care. Again thank you for your help. The GT86 community has restored my faith in humanity.

Hey Rob, Love the towing hook and will let you know if I get one, however funds are slightly strapped as I'm saving up all my money for the AVO stage 3 Fensport are fitting in August  ;)  So maybe a while before I order. Appreciated the offer.

Cheers again guys. Muchas Gracias :D

I can confirm Adam is a true gent. I received my "Dodgy" replacement cover in the post today, along with a fiver for my trouble.

I shall have a pint on you tonight thank you Adam!!

Going for the nechnicolour dreamcoat look like me Nige, I like it!

No, going for an allover one colour Rob. I'm thinking of maybe powder blue now??