Hanslow

Bluetooth and Mediatek chipset phones

Well, car is back from the dealer having had a map update purely to get the firmware update in the hope that it would pair correctly with my phone, a THL 5000. This phone uses the Mediatek MTK6592 chipset, and would tell me it was paired with the touch and go headunit, but not enable any of the connectivity options (phone, music, internet).

My phone connected fine in my 2011 Skoda Yeti, so I saw no reason it wouldn't work with the Toyota unit. My dealer have been pretty good in trying to sort it, for me without the update but to no avail. I'd read on the web that version 2.10.5 should allow it to work, at least it did for a different Mediatek phone user. The dealer confirmed that the version that would go on would be 2.11.5. Once I'd picked the car up, I confirmed that the version was updated, attempted to pair my phone.....nope, still got the same problem. Bugger.

My dealer had confirmed that my phone would pair fine with a plain touch unit, but as the go part of it overrides a lot of functionality in the main head unit, including the bluetooth, it would appear the go module is inferior in comparison.

Looks like I'll need to get a new phone or head unit, more than likely a phone as I don't actually mind the head unit. I could refit one of two I have spare, the SPH-DA100 or my old pristine DEH-P77MP, but I really can't be bothered so I think I'll shift those on instead. So time for a new mobile phone, at least my mum gets a newish replacement ;)

My main gripe with all of this is that you cannot update the firmware in isolation nor can you update it for free. That's really poor from Toyota and far from 99% of other electronics providers. Fortunately, I didn't pay for the update, I would have been might peeved if I'd shelled out £110 to find I was no better off :(

Have you been into the settings of the head unit and confirmed its set to allow access for music, Internet etc?

My iPhone would play music fine when I first paired it, but had to go activate the others...

Yep, pairs fine with my other half's OnePlus One (Qualcomm chipset) offering up Phone and Music straight away. With mine, it pairs, so it's aware of the phone, but once it failed to connect any services the first time, upon attempting to re-enable any of the services it fails. The dealer had it for most of a day with my phone a couple of weeks ago, and he had no luck either. As mentioned, he could get it to pair fine with another vehicle that was just the touch, that was at the same firmware version.

My options are now basically:

1. New phone

2. 3rd party headunit

3. Remove the nav module off my touch and go

4. Live without it being paired

It's frustrating that it works with the head unit alone, but not the nav module :(

That is strange, but out of your three options, I would probably go with number 3, you have a phone with nav, no need to use the go nav....especially since it's not brilliant, quite a few people on here has had it freeze and stuff.