Nige's Wide Body Project

I think it's interesting that you are doing this, but given that the stock roof is 0.65mm thick and already incredibly light I would think, what is the point of doing it? 

I guess if you just want to do it because you can that's fine, but it does seem a tad unnecessary. 

I guess it could be said that everything I'm doing is pretty pointless, interesting, but pointless but it's exactly what I want to do. I dunno, I must just be bored with too much time on my hands lol.

I also want to master Carbon Fibre and the roof is probably the easiest large panel to do?? Lets not forget, it's not just the weight you save, it's where you save it from. Less weight high up is always good.

If this works, vented bonnet will be next, then doors.

Edited by Nigelr32

GPRM's carbon doors were so damn light it was crazy :D Admittedly you aren't going to save much weight on the roof, but like you say it's probably the most reasonable area to play with

GPRM's carbon doors were so damn light it was crazy :D Admittedly you aren't going to save much weight on the roof, but like you say it's probably the most reasonable area to play with

As you say Rob, not much weight to be saved in the roof, but any weight saving that high up is worth doing. The GT86 Doors are the heaviest I have ever come across, weighing in at around 30kg each bare!! The seats also weigh a ton.

This lovely little item arrived today..

Oil%20Tank.jpg

It has -12 fittings and a max capacity of 3 US gallons. I will use -16 hoses running through the car right next to me.

Took 36 hours to get here from USA and a week in UK customs!!

I've been trial fitting a couple of seats over the last couple of weeks. Corbeau run a great program, whereby you borrow a test seat to fit to the car so you don't have to buy a seat and watch the clock tick whilst you build your car. 

Tried the Revolution, but it pinched my hips so I changed it for the Revenge. OMG, what a seat. So comfy I fell asleep in the shell and woke up with Jess on my lap an hour later!! 

Downside to this seat is.... If you have a cage with triangulation from main hoop to front cage, you need to cut the tunnel to get the seat mounts over enough. This has been done and pics will be up tomorrow.

Well, the great big Corbeau seat has been squeezed in and fits nice and tight around the cage and is sunken into the tunnel sideways. Strange, the stock seats are so tight to the  tunnel you cant get your fingers in the gap... I should have known I'd need to cut it. Probable reason is because I want the seat so damn low!!

All the big power FA20's I know of have the DI deleted, (except Adrian's), so I decided I would do the same. I've heard of seal failures, injectors dropping out and I've seen smashed pistons in Audi's when the DI fails.

If I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it right from the get go, so I turned up some blanks to press into the heads to block the holes. They sit in up to the bottom of the chamfer so they look professional.

DI%20Delete%20bungs.jpg

From the inside, we can see the plug sitting in the injector bore where the seal would normally go.

DI%20delete%20bungs%20fitted%201.jpg

And, from the outside. Pretty eh??

DI%20Delete%20bungs%20fitted.jpg

Here we can see the finished article... New inlet valve seats all cut in nicely and recut exhaust valve seats.

DI%20delete%20complete.jpg

The black marks are just pen marks, put there to mark what is and isn't done during the process.

All this work was done by Race Developments in Gloucester.

Custom CP pistons are on order, special because they don't have the triangular pocket for the DI.

43 minutes ago, AJ124 said:

Beautiful work, do you have a lathe at home? If so I'm infinately jealous! 

Yes mate. I'm an Engineer, Rolls Royce Aerospace time served. I have my own little lathe and milling machine and access to the proper stuff in work if I need it.

17 minutes ago, jamie_gt86 said:

Ahhhh so that's why you were selling the other CP's, I kept meaning to ask the reason why :rolleyes:

looks lovely work Nigel as always :)

Thanks Jamie... I'm surprised I haven't had the "You shouldn't have done that" posts..

One more thing I forgot to mention is that my JLS air jack kit arrived. Once the extras turn up, I'll do full review and obviously show how they're fitted. No more concerns about getting a jack under Tommy!!

1 hour ago, Nigelr32 said:

Thanks Jamie... I'm surprised I haven't had the "You shouldn't have done that" posts..

They may come at somepoint but I agree with the choice to remove the DI as you'll be looking at some rather high cylinder pressures...

Have you thought about lapping the areas in on the combustion chamber around your new plugs? Looks like you could end up with some heat spots on what's there which could lead to det :huh:

9 hours ago, jamie_gt86 said:

They may come at somepoint but I agree with the choice to remove the DI as you'll be looking at some rather high cylinder pressures...

Have you thought about lapping the areas in on the combustion chamber around your new plugs? Looks like you could end up with some heat spots on what's there which could lead to det :huh:

Jamie,

Have you not noticed that the plug has been welded up and the whole chamber blended and polished? The edges everywhere are one of the reasons for ditching it all. 

27 minutes ago, Nigelr32 said:

Jamie,

Have you not noticed that the plug has been welded up and the whole chamber blended and polished? The edges everywhere are one of the reasons for ditching it all. 

I have now :rolleyes: only looked at the close up one in detail, missed it on the overall pic of the head, sorry Nige :D

I have been trying to get hold of two sets of cometic MLX gaskets for the FA20 and have been struggling. Called around and finally got some from Mike at Turbo Developments. He actually had two sets on the shelf  

Good price too!!

Sorry Mike.. perhaps you should change the name if you like it??

Bit of a mixed up thread here guys.. I'll start with a pic of the finished heads all cleaned up and ready to go.

IMG_0155.jpg

Tim has made a lovely job of these, I just know I won't regret it!!

Moving along.. I don't think I ever showed you all a pic of the roof mould. I just need to get some carbon fiber now, and give the roof a go?? Should be fun or frustrating?? Who knows??

IMG_0118_1.jpg

It needs a bit of a polish and some flanges adding. I think I need it to be a bit warmer weather wise??

Remember I mentioned I was making turrets so I could drop the shell over the suspension, well here's the rear ones fitted. These will allow the car to go 40mm lower than the lowest setting on any coil over kit!! OR, it will allow longer rear shocks to be used should I decide to go down that road?? Boy oh boy, this car needs longer rear shocks.

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

And finally, we have the sectioned tunnel to allow the seat to move over enough to clear the cage.

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

Thanks for looking in and keep watching.. those beautiful air jacks will be up soon, along with those gorgeous Tilton pedals and the stunning Samsonas gear stick!!

3 minutes ago, Mark-in-Stoke said:

love the look and idea of the turrets

Thanks Mark. It is quite a task welding them in with double skins, galvanised and seam sealer between them. 

The fronts will be easier.