LarsB

Best way to mount a phone for showing OBDII info

In a few days I'm going to receive my OBDII Bluetooth dongle.

I was thinking about mounting a unused Galaxy S4 for showing the Torque-app, but can't decide where to mount it...

Any ideas?

My GT comes with the TNS350 unit, so I have no way of displaying anything on that... 

I do also have an old Motorola tablet, but I dont think the size makes it very "mountable"....

I use a Scangauge which sits very very neatly on dash at right hand A-pillar. It looks much better in real life and ignore screen colour, that is on boot up !

Can be fully configured and shows 4 gauges at once. MAP needs different sensor to be correct, also does MPG etc etc

Scangauge2.jpg

Scangauge1.jpg

Brodit do phone mounts for the GT86

http://www.brodit.com/product.html?id=854812&pn=prod&brand=Toyota&model=GT86&year=2013

I can post a picture up this evening of mine fitted (To a RHD unfortunately) but it will give you an idea of how it looks with a phone in etc.

That would be great Rob. I kinda like the mount in the link - think I'll have a look for it on the internetz....

I use a Scangauge which sits very very neatly on dash at right hand A-pillar. It looks much better in real life and ignore screen colour, that is on boot up !

Can be fully configured and shows 4 gauges at once. MAP needs different sensor to be correct, also does MPG etc etc

I like the idea of using an Android device so I can go with what ever gauges I like...

There are people replacing the head unit with a small head unit, mounting it further back into the dash and then having a Nexus tablet mounted where the head unit was which seems pretty cool

Lars, I completely forgot to do this for you yesterday, I finish work at Midday today and will get some pictures for you :) (It will be brighter then)

No problem Rob - and Merry Christmas  :)

Hi Lars,

Sorry been busy with christmas things! Took pictures for you. Hopefully it gives you an idea. I couldn't take a picture with my phone mounted in it due to using my phone as the camera, but if you do want one, just ask!

post-2-0-90576100-1419449180_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-50799500-1419449181_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-98512700-1419449181_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-47801600-1419449182_thumb.jpg

Just remekber there arebtwo parts. One is the mount itself (based on the car) and the other is the phone mount. (which screws to the car mount and is based on your device)

Its more expensive, but its the most solid mount ive ever had!

Agree with Rob, I used one for my Tomtom, but the new one I got for Xmas is probably too big for the Brodit, so I have just ordered the clip for my phone instead so I can use that for Torque

I also have used a Nexus 7 for Torque with it hanging in a mount from the air vents over the head unit but wasn't really a practical solution

I had used the Brodit in my Celica as well, the good bit is that you can just buy each part separately so it works if you upgrade the device or downgrade your car (there can't be an upgrade from an 86). Also if you regularly use more than one vehicle they do a slide in adapter that lets you transfer the phone mount from one vehicle to another 

http://www.brodit.com/nSearchList.html?pn=prod&hideQuery=true&query=article_code:MoveClip

Is that the standard stereo head unit ?

Alec

Its a genuine Toyota unit, but not a "Touch & go", but a TNS350.... no slot for CD's, but support for changer - but who listens to cd's ?!  :)

Other than that it has Navigation, Bluetooth, handsfree, iPod, DAB and so on...

In Denmark the standard GT86 has no headunit  :)

The first GT I drove had no headunit...