Stripped Engine Details

Following the photos of the Inlet Manifold, it doesn't look too complicated, how hard do you think it would be to have one fabricated with lovely chromed intake tubes - for underbonnet bling - but also because I wonder if the plenum chamber could be contributing to the torque dip because of pulsing/interference between the directly opposing intake runners that are not separated by much distance...

Following the photos of the Inlet Manifold, it doesn't look too complicated, how hard do you think it would be to have one fabricated with lovely chromed intake tubes - for underbonnet bling - but also because I wonder if the plenum chamber could be contributing to the torque dip because of pulsing/interference between the directly opposing intake runners that are not separated by much distance...

Fabricate?

GPRM can supply you with a cast magnesium inlet/plenum chamber. Fully spec'd for Britcar.

A mere £1,980 plus VAT...... 'group buy'?

Spec K

Fabricate?

GPRM can supply you with a cast magnesium inlet/plenum chamber. Fully spec'd for Britcar.

A mere £1,980 plus VAT...... 'group buy'?

Spec K

Sign me up I'll have two........... Can't I dream of bling polish chrome... I certainly can't afford it...

Nige, in your opinion how much scope is there for over-boring the engine? What do you think is the biggest possible bore?

I don't have a clue I'm afraid. I think the manual states a max of 0.5mm, which seems a little on the conservative side if you ask me??

If you want more capacity, HKS do a stroker kit.

Well, after a couple of months wait my Reimax oil pump finally arrived on Thursday. :D

Reimax%20with%20box.jpg

OK, so you ask yourself, why have I bought an aftermarket oil pump for my brand new engine?? Simple, I have read about the stock pump giving up at high revs, and even one website that (Wrongly) claimed FI makes the stock pump fail?? Don't let that worry you, the oil pump couldn't care less if the engine has FI or not!!

Here we can see the two pumps side by side, standard on the left.

Stock%20Oil%20%20pump%20vs%20Reimax.jpg

My biggest worry with the stock pump is the fact that it is sintered, whereas the Reimax pump is made from billet steel, so is less likely to break. You may also have noticed there is a much larger pocket on the Reimax pump, along with different internal forming on the outer ring. I have never seen a pump before with this form, and cannot understand why Subaru made it that way??

Stock%20Oil%20%20pump%20vs%20Reimax%20po

Each one of these pockets,12 in the stock pump and 9 in the Reimax picks up a "lump" of oil from the sump and pushes it down the main gallery to the oil filter. So, the Reimax only picks up 9 lots of oil per rev and the stock pump picks up 12 lots of oil per rev. The capacity of each pocket on the stock pump is 1.1cc whereas the Reimax is 1.6cc. basically the Reimax is moving 1.2cc more oil per rev, which at, say, 5000rpm is an extra 6 litres of oil per minute!!

So, how did I measure the pockets.. with a syringe, some blu tack and a strong flat magnet. I put the magnet on the back of the pump gears and then positioned the centre piece accordingly. The sides were stuffed with blu tack and then oil was used to fill the gap until level at the top. The oil missing from the syringe is the capacity of the pocket.

Oil%20pump%20test.jpg

I have also posted this on my build thread, so one may get removed if the admin don't like double posts??