Burn! Motorsport

Introducing Rigid Collars - club offer

Hi, thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Firstly "what are they"..

Rigid Collars are individually designed and verified collars that align the bolts that hold the subframes or other suspension components to the chassis. The best way to get an understanding for them is to watch the video in this link below.

http://youtu.be/zWyUD6UXfog

Very recently there has been a featured Scion FR-S (GT86 BRZ) tuner challenge in the USA for SEMA 2014. One of the cars built by MOTOIQ installed them but also made a little video about the installation. Check out the link below.

http://youtu.be/WgkAImPh0yg

"What's in the box"

post-618-14152961069031.jpg
post-618-14152961275015.jpg
post-618-14152961517671.jpg
post-618-14152961870805.jpg

"Where do I get them"

Just follow the link below, stick in your car details and then use this code GT86CLUB to get 10% discount.

www.rigidcollar.com

If you buy both the front and rear set together a further 10% will be applied. Meaning a discount of 20%!!!!

Any questions let me know.

still £300 for the full set with the 20% discount. Nice product but scary price for 16 collars.

"Rigid Collars are made from a secret blend of space materials which ensures they mount perfectly flat between the chassis and subframe taking up any imperfection in the mounting surfaces."

What are they actually made of then?

Humm had trouble accessing the forum and posting a new topic today from my browser so I have posted this from tapatalk. I wondered if that's caused the issue. Saying that the post looks great with on here but it has embedded the links.

Any ideas mods?

Edited for spelling errors

Sorry, but I don't buy this at all!! For example, the rear subframe bushes on our cars have three different hole sizes to allow for body assembly and subframe assembly tolerances. The left rear is smaller than the other three, a normal clearance hole for the M14 Bolt holding it in place. The right rear hole is slotted transversely, and the two front bushes have large clearance holes.

Fitting these collars will do no more than place a pre-load in the bush by pulling it true to the hole in the bodyshell. In fact, I would assume in a worse case scenario, one could pull their subframe out of alignment?

Sorry, but I don't buy this at all!! For example, the rear subframe bushes on our cars have three different hole sizes to allow for body assembly and subframe assembly tolerances. The left rear is smaller than the other three, a normal clearance hole for the M14 Bolt holding it in place. The right rear hole is slotted transversely, and the two front bushes have large clearance holes.

Fitting these collars will do no more than place a pre-load in the bush by pulling it true to the hole in the bodyshell. In fact, I would assume in a worse case scenario, one could pull their subframe out of alignment?

That's one heck of an accusation, Nigel. . .

Spec K

Not so much an accusation, more of an old school opinion from a time served Aerospace engineer with a background of car restoration and preparation.

As I said earlier, these clearance holes are there to allow tolerance in the bodyshell. Once clamped up, the parts are not going to move.

As for the video showing reduced vertical movement of the body due to these parts. ... Well????

I must say that from an automotive engineering point of view, I pretty much agree with Nige.  Whilst the jigging used to assemble modern cars is pretty sophisticated, the reality is, you are always going to get a level of variation.  The process of welding will always introduce a level of distortion, which has to be compensated for.  From my experience of setting up welding assemblies (using robots to do the critical welding to minimise any variation) very often parts were assembled loose 'out of spec', so that, once the welding was completed, it would pull into specification.  Despite this, you have to allow for tolerances, usually with one datum mounting point.  By fitting these bushes to remove this allowance, you will almost certainly introduce a pre-set strain in the bushes.  I also get a bit sceptical about the claim of the parts being made out of some 'secret blend of space materials'  What is it, a blend of Moon rock and Mars dust?  :unsure:

The video said aluminium, seems like a soft aluminium for it to mould to the shape of the gap. Though I am no metologist or engineer. Understandable people are skeptical on the subject. Nobody wants it to damage their car.

I guess these things are likely to have pro's and con's

Hi, thanks for all the comments. It's interesting seeing the reactions on these types of modifications on different forums. Introduce it to a forum where the members are already aware of issues with subframe movement and they are well received, introduce them where the cars are relatively new and benefits have not been explored then the reaction is always different.

I was also a skeptic when the product came on to our radar. However the product proved itself and I am no more.

Regarding the "secret space metal" comments, it's a joke... It is obvious to anyone with a engineering background that the material is an aluminium alloy. However we do not know which one as quite rightly so, it is patent protected like the concept of the product itself.

I am not hugely familiar with the GT86 yet as it is new to me so I am not going to argue the credentials without proof. However what I am willing to do is offer a set for the purpose of write up. The car would be better with un-modified chassis and suspension. i.e. no updated bushing or aftermarket suspension. However if its lightly modified then it's not the end of the world. A road test will be required before and after the installation, along the same roads and driven in the same manner. The car will require a GEO with print out before and after the installation - some adjustment may be necessary. This will need to be done pre road test. The installation will need to be documented and photographed for write up purposes. If your interested let me know.

I'm up for this

Look like we have a volunteer! 

Where are you located? 

Do you have a garage in mind for installation, or would you be confident installing yourself? 

Can you carry out the works and complete a write up within 2 weeks? 

I would suggest a process of: 

1. GEO check - Adjustment shouldn't be necessary if correctly aligned already, just a print out to show current set up. 

2. Vehicle test drive

3. Install Collars 

4. GEO check and print out after collar installation. Then adjust to manufacturer specification or as per initial inspection and print out.

5. Vehicle test drive

Obviously the whole installation would need to be documented with images. I am looking for a good honest report from someone that appreciates refined handling. 

Surely step 1 should include adjustment to standard settings / personal choice, then step 4 re-adjusting to the same setting as previously used otherwise you are adding an extra variable to the test. As long as the alignment is the same before and after you have a control.

Surely step 1 should include adjustment to standard settings / personal choice, then step 4 re-adjusting to the same setting as previously used otherwise you are adding an extra variable to the test. As long as the alignment is the same before and after you have a control.

Good point. I made the assumption that the GEO would already be at the owners prefered spec's so adjustment wouldn't be required. 

Fair play to you guys at Burns Motorsport. The fact that you are offering a set FOC for evaluation is admirable.

If you prove me wrong I will take it on the chin and sing your praises once more. I may even buy a set for the front subframe?

Man, a big part of me wants to say "Yes! Let do this!", but exactly how much work is needed to fit them? A full rear subframe strip & demount?? How much space would you need for that (i.e. could I do it in my single garage??) and how long would it take? Would I need any special tools or just a decent selection of spanners and sockets?

Looking at my questions I think the answer for me is that I probably can't manage it myself at the moment, and I probably can't afford to have someone else do it for me...

Having said that, I'm very interested in the difference these collars can make because I understand both sides of the discussion, but I don't feel I can commit right now.

Anyone else going to go for it since it is a good deal?!

Fair play to you guys at Burns Motorsport. The fact that you are offering a set FOC for evaluation is admirable.

If you prove me wrong I will take it on the chin and sing your praises once more. I may even buy a set for the front subframe?

I want to like you post but I have reached my quota for the day ;) 

I believe in the gear I sell. After fitting to a number of my own cars I can say I truly do believe in them. I installed them to my wifes Fiat 500 and it transformed it. NVH levels dropped significantly, enough for my wife to keep the car for a further two years before trading it in for a larger more motorway suitable car. Some cars the effects are less noticeable. 

I'm not a gambling man but I will put my money where my mouth is.