SamHarrison

Rust and very worried

Noticed this earlier today, see pictures. I have no idea how it has happened, it's not at the point the door would meet anything next to it so the only thing I can guess is people with rings getting in/out of the car but surly this shouldn't happen?

I doubt myself this is covered under the warranty but I've never had or seen this issue before in previous cars which have all been older and less expensive. Should I contact my dealer and argue it out or just go to a local body shop. I though about a touch up pen but can't see that been healthy with rust under the paint so thought better of the idea.

*cant add pictures via phone, will add via computer later*

Sorry won't get the pictures up tonought, laptop battery's dead and I don't have a charger here. It's on the edge of the door, two small chips, about 4mm each about half a foot apart. I just can't get my head around what would cause it, as I said I don't think it will be covered but if the paint is that soft and easily chipped is it just going to happen again?

Will get the pictures up at work first thing in the morning :)

I've had a small stone chip to the front edge of the roof where a stone probably bounced up and chipped it....that started to rust a lil....but it's just surface rust.  The paint IS MEGA thin, believe me, after my lil crash, you can see just bare metal, no primer in certain areas purely because it's that think and brittle that it's just flaked off....and now started to rust.  I've had a paint shop look at it and even he was shocked at how thin the paint was.  Sadly if it's a stone chip, I can't imagine the dealership covering it but you never know unless you ask, I've heard some dealers have fixed minor scuffs and dinks for some customers before.

I can't see it been a stone chip just because of where it is, right on the edge of the door asif it had been opened onto a wall which would tie in apart from there's two, it's not where the door meets the next tangible item and I would know if someone had open the door on to something.

If it's on the outer edge then it could still be a stone chip, stones end up flying in all different directions, cars driving past you could kick them up and just hit that spot.

Yep, door been opened into something. No chance of that being fixed under warranty, user error, I'm afraid. Just get it touched up. 

I really wouldn't be worried by that. 

Either pay someone to do it or scratch the rust off add primer and top coat. 

As mentioned it's not at the same height the door would meet a wall, do you think I will be OK just touching it up or am I better off taking it to someone and if so how much should I be paying? Anyone recommend a good colour match for a touch up pen if that's the way forward?

It's a tiny repair though in a place that people won't really notice, so it doesn't have to be amazing to sort it. Good luck with it. I got RRG Macc to sort scuffs and stuff that I've incurred on my car by the same guy they use and the damage was a lot worse than yours. Get it sorted then you can forget about it. 

That is such an easy chip to repair  ;)

Just make sure you remove the rust (you could either sand it very carefully, or better still, if you have a Dremel, just use a small pointed tool to grind it out.  Then get a touch up kit (which should include undercoat), fill up the chip with repeated applications of undercoat until it is level, apply the base coat, and then clear coat on top once the base has dried.  Just use a toothpick to apply the primer, and a very fine brush for the base and clear coat.  If you do a Google search, there are a number of places that supply touch up paint.  Chip-Ex is one good source - I also seem to remember reading on the forum somewhere that Richard (Riceburner) at RRG can supply touch up paint, or you can get it from Toyota here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-High-Quality-White-Pearl-Met-070-Touch-Up-Paint-PZ448W070009-/321289736291?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item4ace5c5063

Dave