Sign in to follow this  
Jamie_GRMN

Helmet and TSS Advice

Hey guys,

As I'm seriously considering entering the Snetterton round of the TSS just wondering if anyone had any opinions to the best, reasonably priced helmet (open face) to buy for it? I don't like the idea of renting one that countless other people have worn :lol:

Also judging by the images I've looked at on the TSS site you don't need a timing plate for the front bumper, am I correct in thinking this?

Finally, where is best to get the magnetic board to stick all the advertising stickers too and how much am I likely to need? or does anyone have any left that I could purchase?

Thanks in advance, and if I don't end up doing Snetterton I'm definitely doing Croft so will still come in handy :)

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I also asked for advice on a helmet before the start of the TSS this year and basically what price do you put on your head.Once u have decent helmet it will last years so don't go cheap and of course it has to be at least BS standard anyway.I have a bell full face so I can wear it at any event and it's very light too.

Sponsors stickers and magnetic card can be bought when signing on at the circuit.

C'mon Jamie get down to snet,will be good.

Yeah I realised after typing maybe reasonably priced isn't the way to go...

Obviously I'll be getting one to the required standard, just didn't know if anyone had opinions towards certain brands etc. I'm only 20minutes away from Demon Tweeks, so planning on going down and trying some on etc, will probably buy online though as they do seem to have some over inflated prices.

Cheers for letting me know about the stickers and card :D

I'm hoping I will be there, should be cheaper than the long weekend in Barcelona I was planning :)

Demon Tweeks will sort you out. As to how much you spend, how much is your head worth? ;)

I'd always say get the best you can and never buy without trying one on. I have an open face these days as it's way more comfortable and cooler too. Car to car contact is impossible in a sprint. If I was racing against other cars I would go full face of course. 

You don't need to worry about timing plates. Not needed. 

All helmets will meet BS requirements, they have to. The more expensive car helmets are FR (fire retardant). I bought a Bell open face FR helment from DT for £215. Also the more you spend the lighter they are. I've got three helmets now, but the other two are ten years old. It's not bad value when you consider I've worn my older helmets hundreds of times over the years, so they do last well. 

Cheers Lauren, I was looking at either a bell or omp open face helmet that demon tweeks do around that price range so I guess I'll just have to go and see which I find more comfortable to wear :)

I also need to consider that I may navigate on some stage rally's, again open face is fine but a higher standard may be required