I live in a rural area with hills and moors

One can be blatting along one minute on seemingly good roads at a fair old tickle

and then hit snow/ slush in the dark

Farmers create muddy roads

This will not be the same for everybody

But it is my reality

Stephen

I agree I think they are better suited for clearing large amounts of water, but as soon as you're out of the puddle they're worse. 

So, unless it's very cold and there is a lot of frosts they are not worth it and feel terrible at temperatures above 5C. 

I've still got a set so will stick them on when the salt goes down, to save my TE37's from the abuse of winter. When they're worn out I will seriously consider whether winter tyres are worth buying again. Let's see how this years winter is. 

In my opinion I would never warrant winter tires in most cases, but there are cases and locations I would. I've done numerous profession road driving courses and the ultra high performance tire won in every situation Barr snow.

In the wet uhp tires had less chance of aqua planning but asi agree with lauren unless your in 4 inches of water for prolonged period summer tires are better. Its a misconception that summer tires won't perform in temps between 1° and 7° only truth to that is if your using a road/track compound tire. Even then those tires come with a cold temp warning.

Unless you live in the Brecon beacons, parts of Cumbria, parts of Yorkshire, or northern scotland save your money.

Only time you absolutely need them would be in 0° or less when roads get icy. Even then black ice won't stop you getting spat off the road. Also if its snowing heavy.

We have tested all these for various factors for driving in different countries and to understand certain characteristics of different conditions, also to know the hazards. Hope this helps. I've never used winter tires unless we had a snow warning! : )

So rule of thumb is there's snow or temps below freezing buy winter tires. Done.

Standing water or fording just drive very slow till you clear them : ) 99% road 1% deep puddles. You do the math.

Yep all ... Interesting but as I wrote above, I have no choice according to the Belgian Law .. I had to buy winter tyres (that's the reason why I asked about your experience with them). 

If you except last winter that was incredibely mild, the weather here is generally very cold and often  icy 

And so, given you HAVE to have them, in general driving you will notice very little difference - possibly slightly slower / softer steering response and maybe a bit more road noise. The majority of responses so far have been generally concerned with "sporty" driving where you're looking for responsiveness and outright grip and on that front it's horses for courses - winter tyres are constructed completely differently to summer tyres for a different set of conditions / requirements...