shiftspark

USB problems ?

I am having problems with my usb, when using a usb drive the music sounds like its a bad copy and "jumps" I have tried 2 different sticks also when connecting my Nexus 4 it will not find it even when I select it as a media device.

Any ideas ?

Cheers

I've not heard anyone report having jumpy/choppy music, is it skipping bits or is it freezing bits?  Like Rob asked, what make and size are the sticks?

I have tried 2 different sticks both were unbranded and 500mb and 2 gig , it sounds like its missing a beat and the time display blips.

Someone has asked if its from iTunes via a Mac but I have not seen any problems.both sticks play fine on my work PC,s

You need a class 6 storage or higher really, unbranded may not be. It could well be the MP3's (Assuming MP3).

I would format the stick first (not a quick format) a full fat format. Then copy 10 songs, and see if they play ok. The more music you have on a cheap stick the choppier it could become.

When I first got mine I had a freebie stick with low quality MP3's on and it would take a few seconds to change track, upgraded to a small fast high capacity stick and I no longer have that issue. Currently have one of these connected 24/7 and it's fantastic:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Drives/Integral/Integral-Fusion-32GB-USB-3.0-Flash-Drive

When I first got mine I had a freebie stick with low quality MP3's on and it would take a few seconds to change track, upgraded to a small fast high capacity stick and I no longer have that issue. Currently have one of these connected 24/7 and it's fantastic:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Drives/Integral/Integral-Fusion-32GB-USB-3.0-Flash-Drive

Oooooo that's nice....and USB 3.0  :huh: I've got a similar small one but an older 32gb Sandisk Cruizer Fit which is only USB 2.0.

Indeed, I was just checking I wasn't going completely bonkers. I just use Spotify on my phone £10  a month for premium unlimited ad-free music for life. Awesome, provided you have signal :P though you can store playlists locally so it's not too bad.

Car doesn't have USB3, but from the specs of the USB stick the read speed of the drive is 140MB/s compared to 60MB/s that USB2 supports... but the write speed of the drive is only 10MB/s which is way below the USB2 maximum. It is possible to buy a USB2 stick that only has 10MB/s read speed. Older sticks could be even slower which will cause jumping/skipping.

Ok thanks for your suggestions, I have ordered the above flash drive and go from there. :)