rob275

Scratches on windows (Electric windows)

So it came to light at the fensport meet on the weekend that both me and Keith have these odd scratches on our windows.

Mine  is on the drivers side, his on the passengers but both are practically identical. Two vertical lines running up the glass, caused by the windows being wound up and down. Can people check to see if they have this? 

I thought at first it was due to some PDR word i had done on the door, but Keith hasn't had any done, if more of you have it can you take a picture as support for my attempted warranty claim for a poorly designed door/electric window mechanism!

I will take a picture tomorrow, it's a little dark now :(

Rob, the scratches you describe are typically caused by dirt / grit getting caught between the window glass and the weatherstrip along the bottom.  With the window wound fully down, have a look in the 'fur' lining inside the weather strip where the scratches are.  Normally, the scratches are very fine, and should polish out with some glass polish (just make sure the offending material is moved first).

I thought that too Dave but mine are quite deep so can't be dirt/grit being caught, can't imagine it being a stone or what not as it would just get pushed out (plus I've got multiple lines within a couple of mm of each other) and I'm sure I'm still hearing a slight screech as it winds up.  Also, I'm pretty sure that there's some sort of roller or track that the window follows there as you just about feel it when the window is down and when it's wet, it leave a clear streak/strip there.  I'll take some pics tomorrow morning.

Dave, it's not grit, my lines are in exactly the sane position as keiths.. Definite mechanism issue. Perhaps it does push against a roller or bearing or some sort and that has grit in it. But it shouldn't happen.

From what I remember, is it a couple of inches further back from where the stitching is on the doors?

When I put my window up as I got in to work, there's a few lines of water on the glass so there is definitely *something* supposed to be there and sounds like its touching the glass on yours / Keiths.

OK.  I am currently in the Netherlands, so cannot have a look at my car.  When I get back home on the weekend, I will take off my door trim panel, and see what could be causing the issue.  That way I will be able to give you something specific to go back to your dealer(s) with in support of your warranty claim.  I will put my former Principal Engineer - Body and Body Hardware for Toyota SA hat on (included responsibility for window regulators!)