Mike

Stability control when setting off?

Pulled away from a set of lights this morning (damp / 10c) and the rears lost traction which is normal at times for the road I was on, stability control light didn't come on which I was fine with.

However, when I next stopped in traffic and then set off again, the stability control instantly came on as I tried to set off which made the car feel like it stalled but didn't - this has happened twice now.

Is this something normal (is it the case I almost stalled but didn't?) or something I should get looked at?

(This is with VSC Sport on btw)

The VSC is pretty advanced on the GT86, but I find it can get confused and end up doing some "funny" things...

As I understand it, the VSC takes inputs from steering angle and yaw rate accelerometers as well as the wheel slip sensors. 

It might be the case that at the first set of lights you were all going in exactly a straight line, there was no camber on the road and the TRC Off / VSC Sport mode just let the car do its thing, while for the second getaway there might have been a little steering angle, or the road was cambered, or one wheel initially hooked up better than the other and it confused the system, it thought you were about to have a massive accident and hence cut the power.

It does have to be said that the VSC can be pretty aggressive when it cuts in, hence the feeling of stalling.

First instance it was a very slight bend but the car still followed the bend - was as though the rears had both let go equally so sounds right that it didn't interfere as there was no real issue.

Second instance, I barely moved off which is why I'm not sure if I was just stalling or just overly sensitive (or an issue that it didn't come on earlier)