Sign in to follow this  
LFA

Rent 4 Ring BRZ reclassified, lol

I'd heard a few stories that the BRZ rentals at the Ring were getting binned a lot. Just had a quick graze of their FB page and found and entry for the BRZ, which clearly states ; " not a car for the novice or beginner" Post by Rent4Ring Gmbh & Co. KG. In fact, their web pages now states " experienced to expert only." So is the sweet BRZ a bit of a widowmaker when lightly enhanced for track use? http://www.rent4ring.de/en/info/rentals-for-the-nordschleife.html#p174_fineprint The FB post also mentions that the car is back for a limited time only so presumably it is getting too expensive to repair lol Posted Image

LOL! The reality is that a lot of drivers these days simply don't have any RWD experience, so they don't know how to handle it. It's okay for the more mature amongst us that have had plenty of RWD cars. It was news to me recently that when Mark insured his MX5 he was asked if he had had any RWD cars before (he'd had eight!) and was still loaded because he was changing his insurance from a FWD car (Yaris).

I think that you have to know what to look for when the backend starts to break away.I think the GT86/BRZ is very softly spoken about what is going on, right until the point where things are going to get big and slidey and then its difficult to ignore what the car is telling you - however, by then it can be too late and you're already into a slide...For me, I've been used to driving FWD cars and even though I've had a couple of other RWD cars before the GT86, I never had them long enough or drove them hard enough to start learning what to look for without the feeling of torque being transmitted through the steering that you get on FWD cars...I think also the media makes it out that the GT86/BRZ is a happy slidey fluffy bunny but the truth of the matter is that it can bite just as hard as any other RWD car if you drive like an idiot...

:32 (11):I've just finished training up some guys from Toyota (Derby plant) and one of the guys told me that there was one guy at work who's just wrote his GT86 off because he came from a company hybrid to the GT86, no other RWD experience and decided to turn all the assists off.....span into a lamp post or something and wrote it off :32 (31):