Sign in to follow this  
CHOSENMAN007

Tires!

Has anyone taken off the Michelin Primacy Hp's and put on a more sports orientated tire? if so what tire and what where the results? I would like to put new rubber on but there is so much to choose from especially in the standard 215/45/17 fitments. I am looking for tires under a £100 a piece. Can anyone help?

I'm using Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 2's currently and they are a good tyre for both Wet & Dry, i know quite a few people are using them.Theres also Yokohama AD08's but I think are more of a pig in the wet and can be affected by road markings causing them to be unpredictable at times, but this it what i've heard. or perhaps Toyo R888's which are primarily for track use but road legal. Again not used them myself... but I do think Adrian @ Fensport uses them on his race car so perhaps you can ask him or someone else can pop along and give you their two pence. Lauren knows her tyres well I think :)

I'm wondering whether I will try different tyres when I've got through my two sets of primacys. I would most likely for a Continental Contisport Contact 5. Excellent tyres, I think. Also I would look at the Yoko Advan AD08 as fitted to the TRD. I'll be honest though, price is not my first consideration. A tyre that has great progressiveness in the wet and a stiff sidewall are generally my highest priorities. Eagle F1s are a good tyre. I'm not sure about the current assymmetric but the previous ones (GSD2/3) were too soft on the sidewalls. Also I'd advise against Toyo Proxies, too soft on the sidewall dulls steering response and precision. The Yoko S-Drive is not a bad tyre. A bit long in the tooth now perhaps but a reasonable all rounder and stiff on the sidewall.

Thank you both for the info! I will do more homework! Just to throw a few more Tires at you, how about Toyo T1-r, Hankook Ventus V12 evo or Dunlop sport maxx tt? can you give any feed back on these as they all are in my price bracket fitted.Oh is there a Gt86/ Brz owners meet on the cards?

I had the t1-r on my previous car and it was a good all round tyre but i wouldn't be able to comment on performance when it comes to hard driving as my previous car was a tad boring compared to the 86!Our next club meet will be a special one in December, but we are currently still organising it. Expect a thread up about it in a week or two :32 (17):

Tried the T1-R on my DC2 Integra. I felt it ruined it compared to the OEM RE010's (which were unavailable). Way too soft on the sidewall, it really took the precision out of the steering.In regard to your other options, I'd save a bit more and get a premium tyre, especially so if you're not going to fit winter tyres. For the most part it's a case of you get what you pay for. Though check a few sites, you may get a better deal. S-Drives may be in your budget a good tyre that would suit the GT, I think. I liked them on my old E36 325i. They are a bit old though, so be careful to check they are not more than a year old.

Thanks Lauren. Damm you know your stuff.. I put a cap on the tires because I have also booked a massive holiday lol But I guess I will never know till I try the tires. Hankook are now pegged to be a premium tire in the next 2 years as they now make oem tires for Toyota and bmw. So I might give them a try, I will be the clubs test bunny for their ultra high performance tire. As for winter tires there is no need as my 86 will be parked during bad weather/snow. I run a 04 lexus is200 for everyday and I will have winter tires on it.

I used to have Continental Contact Sport 3's on my Clio 200 and they were great, proper grippy both dry and wet (and even handled snow reasonably well when there was plenty of tread, where as the HP's were terrible last winter even on new treads), but I can't say how well the new Contact Sport 5's are on the GT but we know 1 guy who raves about them....even though he doesn't actually do that much driving in his car :32 (14):Personlly I'll be looking at either Eagle F1's or the Contact Sport 5's when I get my new alloys next year. A cap of £100 is a lil low isn't it for some decent performance tyres? I know the HP's are quite pricey but the F1's and the Contact Sport 5's are about £120-£130 I believe.

Great mate. Thanks for the heads up looked at those tires too. I have found some dunlop sport maxx rt's fitted at the cost of 110 each wheel! I am happy with that as the reviews on this tire is insanely good.Yeah I know I am begin a cheapo but Its the holiday dude its a big one lol. Could wait till I get back but at the price for the dunlops it is a super deal. Premium brand too. Have you or Lauren heard anything on these tire? you both seem to know your stuff! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------GT-86 Pearl White - Manual - Leather - Navigation - Reversing sensors - oh and mud flaps.Still to come: Tires- The rest is another subject on whether to invalidate my warranty! Or just go for it!

Afraid not fella and to be honest with you mate, my knowledge is pretty limited to what I've just mentioned, before the Clio I was driving a Ford KA with cheapo tyres :32 (38):Lauren on the other hand definitely knows her stuff as she used to race and stuff, and some of the other lads on here will probably know a lot more than me. But since the car is so new, not many people will know what the car will be like outside of the HP's as they've not needed to change tyres, but those who have, have pretty much stuck with the main ones mentioned above. As some cars will handle great with one type of tyre yet with the same tyre on a different car could handle terribly.....the developers did try and design the 86 to work with any type of tyres so I don't think you can go too far wrong if a particular tyre is getting good reviews from a variety of owners.

I certainly will! They are on back order and get in on the 30th. So they should be on my car soon after! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------GT-86 Pearl White - Manual - Leather - Navigation - Reversing sensors - oh and mud flaps.Still to come: Tires on stock rims - The rest is completely stock!