Sign in to follow this  
infernouk

Valuing my 86 for sale?

hey guys,

i am moving to central london in a week and have no need for a car anymore and so am considering selling the 86!

I have no real idea of values of these cars at the moment and mine is an Aero model so again a little difficult to pick a price to offer it up at. 

The car has done 11k, its a 16 plate, just been serviced last week. Black Aero. It also has valenti rear lights and a cobra exhaust but im happy to put them to stock if it helps the price being standard?

Cheers for some guidance here as its a weird situation selling not to be buying again and not having dealt with selling a newish car before! 

Car has finance but its less than the cars value (i should assume!) as i bought it used with toyota being the first owner. 

Only issue worth noting is it has a few scrapes and chips and dents as i bought it not in the best condition and have been unlucky with carparks over the past few months, nothing noticable from distance, all small bits 

Any advice? Cheers

I'd be thinking return to standard, sell off the aftermarket parts. Then maybe ring around Toyota dealers to see if they are interested in buying the car. It's pretty new so they should be, and they won't have any problems putting right cosmetics cheaply.

As a used sale you're going to have to put the cosmetics right yourself as no one wants a slightly scruffy newish car, unless it's really cheap.

2 minutes ago, maurice said:

I'd be thinking return to standard, sell off the aftermarket parts. Then maybe ring around Toyota dealers to see if they are interested in buying the car. It's pretty new so they should be, and they won't have any problems putting right cosmetics cheaply.

As a used sale you're going to have to put the cosmetics right yourself as no one wants a slightly scruffy newish car, unless it's really cheap.

i assume a dealer would be trying to buy the car for vastly under its private sale value? im not in a hurry here so im willing to take my time to get a good deal. I was hoping for private sale but i dont want to invest the funds in fixing the cosmetics pre sale to be honest as ive just spent loads on sorting out rental! I would have just minused it from the value. I assume any margin the dealers try to make off me selling it to them will be a lot more than the cost to repair any scuffs anyway

Agreed. Or pay a "professional" to get scrapes etc sorted and try to sell yourself and probably have a good chance of it selling with it being aero. They quite cool these days with the cool kids on the block. 

Although best advice is, don't move to Central London. It's awful lol. 

9 minutes ago, Cerastes said:

Agreed. Or pay a "professional" to get scrapes etc sorted and try to sell yourself and probably have a good chance of it selling with it being aero. They quite cool these days with the cool kids on the block. 

Although best advice is, don't move to Central London. It's awful lol. 

Yeah i may get a quote i just know its going to be painful, and yeah i thought the aero would be a marmite car to sell so not sure what kind of ride ill be in for. 

Im actually moving north london to kentish town, cant argue with london salaries! 

12 minutes ago, infernouk said:

i assume a dealer would be trying to buy the car for vastly under its private sale value? im not in a hurry here so im willing to take my time to get a good deal. I was hoping for private sale but i dont want to invest the funds in fixing the cosmetics pre sale to be honest as ive just spent loads on sorting out rental! I would have just minused it from the value. I assume any margin the dealers try to make off me selling it to them will be a lot more than the cost to repair any scuffs anyway

Well it's your choice. Repairs and prepping a car, and actually selling it are hassle and take time. That's how dealers pay the bills. Also a private buyer will additionally be put off by finance on the car. It can be sorted out but it's extra faff, so there's a fair chance they'll go elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, maurice said:

Well it's your choice. Repairs and prepping a car, and actually selling it are hassle and take time. That's how dealers pay the bills. Also a private buyer will additionally be put off by finance on the car. It can be sorted out but it's extra faff, so there's a fair chance they'll go elsewhere.

i think buying a car thats on finance is standard these days for newer privates, from the research ive done through PH so im not bothered by that. Time isnt something im worried about as this isnt a burden its just something i dont need, so its more the most logical choice im looking for. If repairs + private sale will make more than selling to a dealer, thats the route ill take regardless of time. 

To prompt the question in the OP, is there a way i can calculate a value here? i see aeros on auto trader but they all sit around 20k which seems too high?

Those might have been on auto trader for ages? And like you say too high? I guess check loads of different sites for prices with similar mileage. 

It's really up to you how much you want to ask for. 

There was a 16 plate BRZ, 20K miles for £19K at my local Sub dealer Looked clean. your scrapes could cost you £1K to put right but put £2k on the price. DONT use spray cans it will look like a bodged job

41 minutes ago, Lucas@PartBox said:

Put everything back to standard and put it on auto trader for about 17k or like they said above, check with a toyota dealer

I recon I’m going to get the damage fixed up professionally, 17k seems a low for aero prices of similar miles and age (assuming I fix the damage) 

It will cost you nothing to phone around a few dealers. I've sold a few cars that way in the past and got some good offers - I've also sold through AutoTrader only to find a Dealer buy the car!!! If they are offering you poor money then nothing lost.

Definitely get the dings sorted professionally as it will just reek of tatty, unloved car and will only get poor money.

You've also got nothing to lose with companies like webuyanycar.com - seriously! Don't knock it! I've had some poor, but not dreadful offers from them in the past and one time (when I did sell a car through them) they offered more than dealers had cars on their forecourts for.

As for finance, either you pay it off and show the buyer a record of this or the buyer pays it off on your behalf and pays you the difference assuming you aren't in negative equity i.e. the car is worth less than the finance. If the car is worth less than the finance give the keys back to the dealer and haggle the difference.

1 minute ago, McDude said:

It will cost you nothing to phone around a few dealers. I've sold a few cars that way in the past and got some good offers - I've also sold through AutoTrader only to find a Dealer buy the car!!! If they are offering you poor money then nothing lost.

Definitely get the dings sorted professionally as it will just reek of tatty, unloved car and will only get poor money.

You've also got nothing to lose with companies like webuyanycar.com - seriously! Don't knock it! I've had some poor, but not dreadful offers from them in the past and one time (when I did sell a car through them) they offered more than dealers had cars on their forecourts for.

As for finance, either you pay it off and show the buyer a record of this or the buyer pays it off on your behalf and pays you the difference assuming you aren't in negative equity i.e. the car is worth less than the finance. If the car is worth less than the finance give the keys back to the dealer and haggle the difference.

Cheers perhaps I’ll try that route I just have time on my side so don’t need to accept less than the best deal, the cars not in negative equity as I paid a large deposit and it was a used car when I got it from Toyota, but I don’t have the cash to settle it outright so will have to get the buyer to settle