Sign in to follow this  
rob275

So are my wheels too big?

This issue has only occured after having the Whiteline offset top mounts added

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBS79cVnOEI

Knocking sound. Ideas? Will be going to fensport on my way up to JAE but it's getting worse and worse i'm considering taking my wheels off...wheels are 17x9 ET42 btw.... Lowered 25mm on Tein Springs and Koni Shocks. Very similar to Keiths setup.Had no knocking the first two weeks without the offset top mounts. Ever since having them fitted i've had knocking pretty much.-1.75 Camber Rear-2.00 Camber Front

Why are you running so much camber on a predominantly road car? Is it due to wheel width?

with the 9" wheels they poke the arches a tad, so...1. It looked a lot tidier looks wise to have this camber (Although probably not necessary to have it this agressive)2. I will be tracking it a fair bit next year including toyota sprint. The only reason i haven't done a lot of track this year is I just haven't had the funds. But now the car is paid off it's all systems go.

You should be able to see if anything is catching on the wheel/tyre with obvious markings

Haven't taken the wheels off but had a feel and couldn't feel any rough edges on the inner wheel rim. Rubbing of the tyre wouldn't cause this noise. It puzzles me as it was fine without the off-set mounts. But why would the off-set mounts cause this?

Ricer ;) Glad I read the post before watching the video.

define ricer? None of this is rice :( The main reason i wen't for the wider wheels was for the added grip. It's just a preference.

Have a look on the FT86 forum. There are a number on complaints on knocking with the Whiteline top strut mounts. The design was actually changed with a better quality upper bearing. People also had problems with some spring types not locating properly in the upper spring seat. Fortunately, I have not experienced any of these issues with mine, even though my upper mounts are the '1st generation' ones. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26146