Sign in to follow this  
Kono

Check SRS airbag system warning

Hi all,

This morning got in my car and the 'check SRS airbag system' message pops up and cant be cleared. I have no idea what's caused this to come up and nothing has changed on the car since I last drove it last night. Any one experienced this before or know how to fix it? If not what do you guys recommend is the best way to get it fixed.

Don't really fancy going to the main dealership since I know they can charge over £150 just to check wires/sensors and 2K just for a new air bag which I cant exactly afford right now. 

I got this once when I was working on the car. It can, perhaps obviously, be triggered by a wire being loose in a connector. In my case it was because I had knocked a airbag wire behind the B-pillar trim.

I don't know the history of your car but maybe someone has had some trim off and one of the connectors isn't quite lined up. This car has a lot of airbags but for the ones I've seen they are mostly easy to get to. I anticipate the most difficult is the steering wheel airbag, because most instructions are for LHD, certainly it look me a little longer than expected to get to that airbag.

In my case I drove for 40 miles with the dashboard permanently displaying SRS failure. This warning was insistent and invasive but didn't hinder the car from driving. I presumed that in the event of an accident the airbags that work would go off.

Depending on your level of mechanical ability I would start with checking ones that might have been disturbed:

• Seats - its located underneath and probably can see with some gymnastics and a torch
  • B-Pillar -  it's behind the trim which is just clips and could be disturbed if the speakers have been changed
  • Steering wheel (if it's been changed)
  • The others are in the trim and dashboard and I don't think they would have been easily disturbed

I'm not aware if the diagnostic system on the car is smart enough to determine which one is at fault, much like the tire pressure fault doesn't know which tire is low.

2 hours ago, GravelRash said:

I got this once when I was working on the car. It can, perhaps obviously, be triggered by a wire being loose in a connector. In my case it was because I had knocked a airbag wire behind the B-pillar trim.

I don't know the history of your car but maybe someone has had some trim off and one of the connectors isn't quite lined up. This car has a lot of airbags but for the ones I've seen they are mostly easy to get to. I anticipate the most difficult is the steering wheel airbag, because most instructions are for LHD, certainly it look me a little longer than expected to get to that airbag.

In my case I drove for 40 miles with the dashboard permanently displaying SRS failure. This warning was insistent and invasive but didn't hinder the car from driving. I presumed that in the event of an accident the airbags that work would go off.

Depending on your level of mechanical ability I would start with checking ones that might have been disturbed:

• Seats - its located underneath and probably can see with some gymnastics and a torch
  • B-Pillar -  it's behind the trim which is just clips and could be disturbed if the speakers have been changed
  • Steering wheel (if it's been changed)
  • The others are in the trim and dashboard and I don't think they would have been easily disturbed

I'm not aware if the diagnostic system on the car is smart enough to determine which one is at fault, much like the tire pressure fault doesn't know which tire is low.

😮 they do have a lot of reasons that they can trigger this but I got to the bottom of my issue:

There was a small box with a single drink can in it on the passenger seat. Apparently if the seat has something too light to be a passenger but too heavy to be nothing it can cause this issue. Also if the seat is damp. After moving the box off the passenger seat the light went off and everything is fine now...2 years of having the car and this is the first time it happened so just for everyone's reference, make sure the air/interior is dry and check nothing is on the passenger seat if you get the message

Thanks for the quick reply though, if the box issue wasn't it I probs would of started down the line you stated checking the connectors first XD