86-Rich

Valenti rear lights

Hi guys I’ve just had valenti rears fitted on my car and the rear fog to match,just had a question about the v bar,I was under the impression it came on when the rear lights are on,but only seems to come on when the fog light is switched on? 

45 minutes ago, 86-Rich said:

Hi guys I’ve just had valenti rears fitted on my car and the rear fog to match,just had a question about the v bar,I was under the impression it came on when the rear lights are on,but only seems to come on when the fog light is switched on? 

To have it on with the rear lights you need to re-wire the internals and use the extra red wire to tap into one of the tail light wires.

It's fairly easy to do, there's a few guides around on various 86 forums and youtube on how to do it. You just need a soldering iron which you can get for around a tenner on amazon.

I've got a Valenti bumper light ready to fit myself (had the rears on for years now, only just got around to buying the bumper one!) so have been looking at all the advice/fitting guides and possible wiring changes.

As I understand it the stock Valenti is as you describe so just mimics the OEM bumper light functions. The extra long red cable is to splice to the appropriate brake light wire in the nearest tail light if you wish and then that gives you the flashing bumper light in the small bit above the 'V' (although I think it still maintains the fog function too, maybe someone can confirm?).

Anyway, as has been said, most people prefer to have the 'V' act as a third tail light. The best/clearest instructions I can find is as has been said on the Aussie forum (the 'Hawk guide' as it is known after the user name of the person who posted it) - http://www.86forums.com.au/index.php?/topic/1634-valenti-reversing-light-v-as-position-light-mod/

I think the advice to try it all out before actually fitting it to the bumper position  is sensible, so plug it into the relevant socket and then with the rear seat down have the unit inside the car as you play with the break pedal/reverse/lights to check what it does. I intend to do this as the first step just to make sure the unit is working properly (as I won't be able to exchange with Amber if I have already done the next step!).

Assuming it is working out of the box I then intend to follow the Hawk guide for the internal wiring change to get the 'V' to act as a standard real light. I think it looks pretty simple, but as I have never been the best at soldiering (to put it mildly) I may take the easy option of just using a butt crimp to do that part (it also acts as a built in heat shrink to prevent any lose contact/shorting so makes it quicker too), you can get these for pennies - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Insulated-Straight-Butt-Connectors-Electrical-Crimp-Terminals-Wire-Cable/121859932941?hash=item1c5f6b030d:m:mV0ZSOwMxSGUWzrvkqeKrww

Then it will just be a matter of either using the supplied Valenti little red wire joiner to splice it to the tail light cable, or get something like this of you haven't got that - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scotch-Lock-Wire-Connector-Quick-Splice-Terminals-Crimp-Electrical-Cable-Snap-OR/263907470910?hash=item3d721c6e3e:m:m0di7M7CmfyIGWQ-u2BKsiw - or do what Hawk did and push it in the relevant hole  of the socket on the tail light.

Now, if I have got any of this wrong please tell me now before I start it all myself (this weekend probably) please! Also, if anyone has got any tips from doing it themselves that isn't in the Hawk guide please share :)