KobayashiMaru

GT86 Alternatives, Pros and Cons

Try a BMW. It's all personal at the end of the day. The 86 is fun but might feel a bit crude and unrefined if you like your Skoda from a daily commuting perspective. The BMW is a halfway house.

I still wouldn't swap, but the 86 is what it is and I can see why many would prefer a baby BMW. The sales figures bear that out.

Will tell you one thing though - a ten year old wandered over the other day and said 'cool car, mate'. That never happened with the 1 series.

And you know what? He's right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M135i is rear wheel drive, but that's where the similarities end. It's not a sports car - it's a refined 5 seater, with the weight and comfort that brings. As you say, it looks like every other BMW.

I drove several e92 M3's - seemed very generic at lower revs, but people do say they grow on you. I'd have had one over the M135i, but the prices are ridiculous at the moment - however zero depreciation - my friend had one for £25k 3 years ago that BMW are selling today for £27k. I was looking at 2 year old M135i's for £18k, or a 10 year old M3 for the same price!

TTRS felt wonderfully fast, but a bit woollen and again, it's not really a sports car.

The only thing that came close, was a Cayman S - if you get the 987 2nd generation (£23k+) then the engine woes were fixed, and it's a wonderful car to drive, and unlikely to cost too much more to run than a performance BMW. Only reason I didn't get one was because at 6'4 I'm JUST too tall to be comfortable.

The GT86 is rare, it's light, the driving position is ace, every journey is an event. Kids love it, everyone else on the road seems to hate you (I never get let out of junctions and anything remotely sporty drives up my arse until I floor it).

Having said that, I only bought one over the M135i because someone else had spent the £10k on a supercharger and additional mods.

Drive them all. Only way to tell.