Ade

HELP DETAILERS - Wheel cleaning advice please!!

Hi

Despite my best efforts to keep my wheels shiney, the silver bits are starting to get some brake dust/dirt/crud stuck to them.

I use Pro Valet Bilbury Wheel cleaner with and EZ clean brush and a detailing bush. It removes the worst of it, but still leave the tougher stains behind.

Whats the best way to clean off stubborn brake dust marks on my wheels? Can I use a polish of some kind?

Also while I am here, my wheels tend to accumulate dirt in the corners of the spokes. I can clean it off if I scrub it buggery, but again is there an easy way to loosen the dirt? Pressure washer struggles to remove it!

All advice appreciated, cheers 

Hadnt thought about the clay bar! 

RainX - isnt that for windscreens?  

I've got some Pro Valet Dragons Breath (names after how it smells). I used it a couple times, but it eats the disc iron like buggary. When I put the car in garage for a few days after using it, there must still have been some of the stuff around the pads as it left proper burn marks in the disc iron. 

I guess I need to keep it away from the disc and rinse thoroughly!

@Ade What rob has said, the best thing to use is a fall out remover. I have only ever used Ironx. These tend to go purple and bleed when its working. Best not to let it dry, but you can use as many hits as you like until you stop seeing the purple.

DSCF0990.jpg

Anything left can be removed by clay baring. I use bilt hamber clay as you can use water as lube.

Best thing you can do for yourself one properly clean is seal the wheels up. The best sealant is a ceramic coating, while very easy to apply wipe on wipe off. They need a lot of prep work to bond properly and get the best out of them. Prep Along the lines off decontaminate (ironx) Clay bar, polish, pannel wipe then use cermic coating like gtechniq. Or my other go to would be FK1000P a high temp hybrid, that you apply like wax, this is less fussy about prep you could stop after using ironx but ultimate wont protect for as long.

If you get the sealant right you should barely have to touch them to clean them if done regularly mine come up well just with the pressure washer alone. Here is an example of the daily. You can see the state of it. One section has only been touched by the pressure washer.

IMAG4317_zpssfoijjam.jpg

I hate to say this, on the polished parts of you wheel it already looks like pitting has started.

4 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

I hate to say this, on the polished parts of you wheel it already looks like pitting has started.

Pitting?

I did use Gtechniqu C5 but it wasnt impressed with the finish. Perhaps my prep was a bit crap. I just cleaned them with the bilburry and dried before applying it. 

5 minutes ago, Ade said:

Pitting?

I did use Gtechniqu C5 but it wasnt impressed with the finish. Perhaps my prep was a bit crap. I just cleaned them with the bilburry and dried before applying it. 

Yeh its all in the prep with a ceramic coating Rob probably can tell you more than me, as I think from memory he is a gtechniq fan boy. I know it wont bond properly without panel wipe.

Id go from Fk1000p it pretty utilitarian will last forever, and is easy to work with. Id apply is once a quarter.

Pitting in this photo here looks like something causing damage to the polished surface.

2 hours ago, Ade said:

20170131_142615.jpg

3 minutes ago, rob275 said:

@Ade I meant to put IronX... sorry brain was elsewhere lol

Funny thing is I should have realised that and I didn't because I have the same issue at the moment. IronX is like the most popular fallout remover.

5 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

Yeh its all in the prep with a ceramic coating Rob probably can tell you more than me, as I think from memory he is a gtechniq fan boy. I know it wont bond properly without panel wipe.

Id go from Fk1000p it pretty utilitarian will last forever, and is easy to work with. Id apply is once a quarter.

Pitting in this photo here looks like something causing damage to the polished surface.

I though I could see corrosion before, but I scrubbed it with a firm sponge and it eventually came off. Hoping it same is true here. 

I use Autobrite Britegel as my regular wheel cleaner and occasionally give them a blast of purple rain to remove any stubborn bits or if they are heavily dusted after a track day or something.

Bitegel smells nicer than the rotten egg smell of purple rain too. Although they've recently changed the formula to make it smell nicer apparently so you might get one of the new nicer smelling ones if you only ordered yesterday. I've still got half a litre of rotten eggs to get through before I can try the new one. :lol: