Sign in to follow this  
Eddyf93

Replacement battery

So the battery on my 86 is just about dead. 2 days with no use and it's flat, very annoying! 

I has it booked in at Toyota, but after being told I will be charged if anything else could be draining the battery. I know they're worm there way out of replacing it because of the air suspension so just didn't bother with it. 

Decided the easiest fix will be just buying a new battery myself. Any one know the best battery to replace it with? 

Yes, but unless it fails their (fair) test then we don't really have a case. 

Mine failed after being left for a week and so contacted dealer to request change under warranty. They were okay with that if when they test it it's not holding a charge, which it is under normal conditions. No point me going there because I know that it'll pass any test they throw at it - unless it's left for a week or so. I suspect I'll have to bite the bullet and just buy one - it's not worth the hassle.

2 minutes ago, LordGrover said:

Yes, but unless it fails their (fair) test then we don't really have a case. 

Mine failed after being left for a week and so contacted dealer to request change under warranty. They were okay with that if when they test it it's not holding a charge, which it is under normal conditions. No point me going there because I know that it'll pass any test they throw at it - unless it's left for a week or so. I suspect I'll have to bite the bullet and just buy one - it's not worth the hassle.

This.

All car batteries gradually lose capacity as they age and thus car batteries are generally over sized. I think the GT gets away with a diddy battery by having a 130A alternator. 

The battery tester checks if all the cells are functioning (voltage) and the cranking current (output resistance). If you have one with a bad capacity, it wont pickup on that. Some dealers are nicer than others regarding this, but every dealer i've approached seems to want to charge me for testing a battery and as soon as I mention modifications that's it.....

11 minutes ago, Ade said:

P.s.

i'll probably fit a bosch 70ah battery at some point.

Looking at getting one ASAP. I was told I'll be charged £80 for the test if they thought it was being drained by something else. So really no point risking it. I'll end up paying for the test when they blame it on me, then I'll still have to buy a battery. Easier just to buy one myself and have done with it 

8 minutes ago, Eddyf93 said:

Looking at getting one ASAP. I was told I'll be charged £80 for the test if they thought it was being drained by something else. So really no point risking it. I'll end up paying for the test when they blame it on me, then I'll still have to buy a battery. Easier just to buy one myself and have done with it 

Make sure you check dimensions of your current battery and polarity. Most of the battery finder apps give you batteries wit hthe wrong polarity of UK RHD cars.

this one looks like its correct (30mm wider than current OE spec which should be fine)

http://www.puredrivebatteries.co.uk/e24-varta-blue-dynamic-12v-70ah-car-battery.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwjqO_BRDribyJpc_mzHgSJABdnsFWvL4Lj4XViYEJuFyjNPLTUMYIdlMH2VJ2RMOaE1ufaxoCHfHw_wcB

44 minutes ago, rob275 said:

they can't go on assumptions, they would need to prove it's draining it. They couldn't prove my speakers were draining it which they were blaming it on so they replaced mine.

Yeah I know what you are saying, but I cant be bothered to try to argue with them.

ATS do free battery checks, I took mine down there for them to test and then shown the printout they gave me showing it needed replacement when I took it in to Toyota and didn't have a problem, although I took mine to RRG, dunno how you would get on with other dealers

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Our Sept 15 Car has the black top / clearish sides. It's not let us down even when it's not been used for a few weeks.

This morning, I wired in a CTEK comfort indicator connector.

Two of our cars (Alfa Spider & Fiat Seicento) have them as they are mainly seldom used toys.

A great system as easy to connect the charger & assess the guts in the battery.

Our 86 has stood for two days after a 160 mile run.

The battery is flashing red!!

It'll be on charge tonight for sure.

Mines failed the first test but as I was picking the car up late that day the put it on again and it failed! New battery fitted the next day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Sept 15 Car has the black top / clearish sides. It's not let us down even when it's not been used for a few weeks.

This morning, I wired in a CTEK comfort indicator connector.

Two of our cars (Alfa Spider & Fiat Seicento) have them as they are mainly seldom used toys.

A great system as easy to connect the charger & assess the guts in the battery.

Our 86 has stood for two days after a 160 mile run.

The battery is flashing red!!

It'll be on charge tonight for sure.

22fce86b95bf3705cd539d128c87e2ab.jpg