charged

Air Conditioning

2 hours ago, daidaiiro said:

^^ Nice find. May save a few bob if/when the time comes.

IIRC you cant just switch to the old gas when there is an issue, a couple of items need to be changed which doesn't make it cost effective

5 hours ago, Tareim said:

IIRC you cant just switch to the old gas when there is an issue, a couple of items need to be changed which doesn't make it cost effective

Yes, that's my understanding too, it uses different parts so you would likely only change the A/C system over to the normal cheap gas if it was part of an accident repair or similar. In any case hopefully for the majority of us on the original pricey gas (cars made between 2012 and late 2014) it will do what it was meant to and will indeed last the life of the car without needing any top ups - and if it does it won't be pricey at all ;)

I've just had my GT86 15 reg 20,000 service and it has come back with the Air Con blowing Hot - The dealer say its not part of the service and I will have to pay  They didn't even spot that it wasn't  working !   Can anyone help ? 

My understanding on the 'normal' air-con gas (as opposed to the expensive stuff on the 2012-14 GT86's) is that on most cars you should expect to lose around 10% of it a year and need to top it up in a re-gas every 18-24 months. If Mike's 15 reg car is from the beginning of that year then a re-gas is likely to be considered a standard wear and tear consumable and not a warranty issue, although if it really is blowing 'hot' rather than less cold I would be wanting it checked for leaks as it should still be having some effect and if there is a leak then of course a warranty claim is your best route as it will need finding and fixing.

I don't think the rate you lose gas, is anything like that. I have a 31 year old car, that at 26 years old still worked fine. I've had it changed to R134a (from R12) and it still works fine five years later. In my GT I've done 89K miles and it works fine. The trouble is with aircon is that you need to use it to lubricate the seals. So the more you use it, the long it lasts. I never turn mine off in the GT. 

So I do think that you would expect the refigerant to last five years easily, providing it is used regularly.