Sign in to follow this  
Qu1ckn1ck

She's going .... !

The GT86 having reached 3 years old, I am now parting with her and downsizing to a new VW Polo GTI. 

I have enjoyed the GT86 but the wife found it's size intimidating and never drove it so the 1.8 plus turbo Polo is small enough for the wife to happily drive and fast enough for me to enjoy.

Just taken the 18" Forged Wheels off this morning so after cleaning and photographing they will be appearing "For Sale". 

We had the earlier 2.0 Fiesta ST and the current shape Fiesta in the 1.6 Zetec S guise so really wanted something different.  The Polo GTI is less sporty but more civilized than the current awesome Fiesta ST so is far easier to "sell" to my wife as a sensible shopping trolly !

38 minutes ago, Nicebiscuit said:

Better looking too... I think it's a bit overlooked because the previous 1.4 gti was a bit underwhelming. But the 1.8 is great. Very close in character to a mk2 golf gti to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly why it appeals to me, I never had a Golf before but in 1982 I had the Mk2 Scirocco GTI on the same platform as the Golf.  The reviews give the new Polo GTI a far better rating than the previous one.  We have gone for the six speed manual rather than the DSG.  The BHP figures virtually match the GT86 and the torque figures are better, it is quite a little "Q" car.

My past 2 cars were VAG based FWD hot hatches. They will always have a place in my dream garage. I've typically avoided VW, mostly because I dislike the generally bland interior and understated styling, and they tend to be 10-20% more expensive, so I've tended towards Seat in the past.

However, what cannot be argued is how much more suited a turbocharged hot hatch is to daily driving. So much more usable power (max torque on mine was around 1500rpm), excellent fuel economy, easy to park and a nice big boot.

My only reason for moving away was wanting something more fun, and there's not denying a GT86 is more fun than most FWD cars.

Be interesting to see how you find going the other way though.

I'm surprised your wife finds the size of the GT86 intimidating, this is the smallest car I've ever owned. Although admittedly, I'm not your wife.

Or am I?

No, I'm not

My older sister used to drive Polo's but stopped due to the build quality not being what it used to be since they started being made in Spain rather than Germany and suffering various bits of trim dropping off (unlike like other VW's which for the EU market are still German made). She drives Fabia's now for a similar reason (Czech build quality is better). I agree though, modern Polo's ain't the least bit small any more.

8 hours ago, Captain Duff said:

My older sister used to drive Polo's but stopped due to the build quality not being what it used to be since they started being made in Spain rather than Germany and suffering various bits of trim dropping off (unlike like other VW's which for the EU market are still German made). She drives Fabia's now for a similar reason (Czech build quality is better). I agree though, modern Polo's ain't the least bit small any more.

As far as I'm aware 5 Door Polos are made in South Africa and 3 Doors are made in Germany. Thats what the Dealer told me last year when I was trying to get a test drive on the new GTI anyway!

Happy New Purchase :) Hope you enjoy! 

On 08/03/2016 at 3:58 PM, Qu1ckn1ck said:

The GT86 having reached 3 years old, I am now parting with her and downsizing to a new VW Polo GTI. 

I have enjoyed the GT86 but the wife found it's size intimidating and never drove it so the 1.8 plus turbo Polo is small enough for the wife to happily drive and fast enough for me to enjoy.

Just taken the 18" Forged Wheels off this morning so after cleaning and photographing they will be appearing "For Sale". 

Just put the 18" Team Dynamics forged alloys up for sale.  PM me if interested.

IMG_0918 (640x480).jpg