New Oil Pump

Happy New Year Everyone.

I've been reading a few articles on boosted FA20 Motors over in the USA today and have concentrated on temperature and lube issues. Having read many articles, and sifted out what I consider to be the good from the bad and the ugly, I have come to the conclusion that the stock oil pump is great for this very strong little engine, but has a "different" pressure/flow curve? It would appear that, due to the unusual design of the outer pump gear, the pressure and flow are quite low up until after 4000rpm, when the pressure curve builds quite steeply. This could be something to do with the cam timing gears?

As I am going to build a FI engine with a far steeper power and torque curve than stock, whilst attempting to remove the 4000rpm drop, I thought I should do something about it.

The Turbo FA20 engine uses a 14mm wide gear set, whereas our NA engines use 12mm wide gears. (The FA20 gears run directly in the front cover.)To use the Turbo gear set, you also need the turbo engines front cover, which has different Cam pulleys on the exhaust, so is not a straight swap item

There is apparently a 12mm wide Subaru gear set available for the (I think) WRX or STI?. Then I found this online..http://www.rhdjapan.com/reimax-oil-pump-gear-kit-fa20-brz-86.html

So, I've ordered a set. I remember them being used on the GTR's as an upgrade in the N1 pumps. They performed very well in that application. The RB26 has lubrication "issues" in stock road trim, with a very low oil capacity for its size and problems with holding oil in the heads.

When the kit arrives, I'll post some pics. I look forward to seeing how it works.. in the meantime I shall be smoothing out the galleries in the front cover and block halves. There are a lot of sharp corners, impeding oil flow in them there galleries!!

Happy New Year? Have we fallen forward in time?

No, but the next biggie is new year?? Xmas is gone in my book.. bah humbug lol!!