At the WRC rally in Wales this year Michelin had a huge £300,000+ professional driving simulator. I was lucky enough to have a go on it at the Dee side service park.

Apparently it was converted from a RAF helicopter training sim. It sits on a bed of electronic pneumatic lifts. Each with about 1.5 metres of movement.

The simulator was insane, you start off and the whole thing raises up over a metre. Because of the over exaggerated movement in braking, accelerating, turning etc. It feels as realistic as the real thing. 

I can't find any videos or pictures of this insane machine on the internet.

It has 3 big screens curved round in front of you, you sit in a bucket seat on a raised platform. 

Has anyone had a go or seen this beast?

Don't know about the exact one you are talking about but I have seen similar systems to what you've described, from smaller simpler DBoxes to big rig ones but can remember what they were called. During my time at Codemasters, I played a bit of Dirt on the DBox which was amusing but it just didn't feel right.

The guy running it said it was 1 of 3 in the world the other two had a whole car which you sat in.

I only had a 3 minute blast, but it actually made me laugh how realistic it felt as i was struggling to keep it on the road, they also gave me this hat as well.  :D

post-622-0-04041800-1416332194_thumb.jpg