griffinnn

Brakes squealing!!!

Not sure what track focused cars or brakes you refer too but I've rarely seen motorsport or proper track equipment that didn't squeal, unless the discs/pads were glazed. It's part and parcel of the intended use.

Your probably right there but at the end of the day, despite what Toyota try to say, the GT86 is a road car out of the box.

I'm not covering my ears when an M3 or Cayman etc pull up.

Mines died down now since getting them greased. I don't mind bit but it was piercing.

Fair enough but a GT86 is more of a track car than a M3 (this side of a CSL) or than a Cayman (this side of a R) for me.

But still it's a road car, agreed. Because my squeal is only slight and only at very low speed, I am not too bothered. If it's piercing than yes it's not acceptable.

I hope for you it stays like that now that it's fixed.

I have to say props to Nige for his customer support and TGB for finding an alternative for those who dont like the squeek.

We all have differing views as to just how much compromise a road going car should have.

My view is the GT86 is a performance car so I shouldnt be quite as perfect as a Golf GTI. Everything is a compromise for performance, otherwise an F1 car with be as confy as a Bentley.

>> It has no sound deadening to make it lighter but has a noisy ride on the motorway.

>> It has performance pads that can squeek a bit, but you get better bite and fade performance

>> it has a rough engine noise in the cabin, party becasue it revs and party the lack of sound deadening.

>> It has a firm (ish) ride but not alot of body roll...

>> It lacks grip becuase of the contract with Mitchellin to purchase 1 trillion tyres on the cheap... oh wait that makes the car fun!

What Toyobaru could have done is simply fit bigger brakes with softer pads rather than trying to improve the performance of Imprezza brakes, but that would be expensive.....

I see there has been the comparison of Porsche Brakes made here. I would like to comment on that point...

Having owned a 2013 Boxster S I can confirm that the brakes are superb, and don't squeal at all. I don't know how they would perform on the track because I never tracked my car. But.. I will say one thing... the pads are so very very soft that the brake dust is ridiculous!! Literally, you go far a little 30 mile drive, and the wheels would be quite dirty and there would be black dust all up the side of the car and up and around the rear end.

I have never owned a car so bad in this respect. It was practically impossible to keep immaculate.

Thats interesting Nige. I have a Merc with AMG brakes (cross drilled discs) and it too has rediculously dusty front brakes. I spend 2 hours cleaning the wheels and 5mins drive to undo all the work :( Lovely brakes though for a big car.

I presume they put bigger brakes on the Boxter (relative to the gt86) so they can dissipate a bit more heat and use a softer compount.