Sign in to follow this  
Keethos

Fixing Rattle/Buzzing from Window Switch

Hey all,I've finally had some spare time to work on my baby today so I've been a very productive boy! My first goal today to was to sort out this horrible rattle/buzzing noise caused by my JBL system rumbling away when certain songs with certain frequencies of bass is blaring out. The rattle seems to be from the passenger window switch which I originally asked my dealer to have a look at, only for the retards to come back to me saying they couldn't fix it so they turned the bass down for me....gee thanks. So I've decided to tackle this issue myself and it's pretty obvious what the noise could be coming from which I will explain through this guide.So the first task is to remove the inner door card and to do so, you need fingers of steel and more importantly, balls of steel!! To start, simply remove the plastic grommet clip close to the door hinge and the plastic cap behind the inside door handle. Pry off the silver (or red for those with the red inserts) door handle cover, starting from the button, prying outwards and working your way up. So use your fingers of steel to pull out and upwards with your thumb or fingers on the underside of the cover and then get a flat head screwdriver to pry it open from the side with the leather padding. Get your balls of steel in gear and give it a bit of welly as you need to give it some to pop off the clips holding this piece in place. Continue to hinge this part outwards as at the top of the cover, there is a tab that points upwards which you need to unhook.Posted ImageGet a Philips head screwdriver and unscrew the 3 screws holding the door in place. Then get your fingers of steel and balls of steel to start from the door card edge closes to the door hinge and start to pry this bad boy off making sure the panel pops all it's plastic clips. Work your way down and around until you reach the other end and then start to lift the door card. If it doesn't lift, there might be 1 or 2 plastic clips still in around the central area of the door card so pull the door card further out from the bottom edge. Once you've lifted the door card off the window lip at the top, don't move the door card too far away as there are 2 or 3 wires connected to the door light and the window switches as well as 2 cables that are hooked onto the inner door handle and dead lock switch (make note on how these are hooked and connected).Posted Image(Drivers Door Card)Posted Image(Passengers Door Card)Posted ImageOnce you've removed the door card, use a Philips head screwdriver again to remove the 4 screws around the window switch housing, then unhook the 2 plastic loops around the screw hole along the top (in line with each other) and continue to hinge it outwards as there is a plastic tab/hook on the underside of this part.Posted Image(Passenger Window Switch)Now that this part is free, give the back of the window switch a wiggle (the big blocky unit) and you can feel and hear it move about very easily, this is what I believe to be the cause of the noise.Posted ImagePosted Image(Drivers Window Switch)You can see from the pics that there are 4 lower tabs and 6 upper tabs, it's the 4 lower tabs that you need to pry open in order to remove the outer housing in order to pad it out. You can't push the tabs in as they're pretty solid, you need to get a thin flat metal blade that's sturdy enough for you to wrench the outer plastic outwards (they need to move a fair distance so be careful you don't snap or split it) in order to begin the process of moving the switch unit out.Posted Image(You can see where the 4 tabs are located, the plastic outer has start to turn a lil grey as they get stretched/strain a lil so be careful.)Posted Image(Driver Side Window Switch Unit)Now you have this unit on it's own, get some double sided foam tap or whatever you have to stick and pad out the gap between this unit and the outer casing.Posted ImageNote that the drivers side has an extra unit which also moves around a fair bit so remove this and do the same (note that the tabs for these can be pushed in and is quite easy to remove once the window switch unit has already been removed)Posted ImagePosted ImageOnce you've added the padding, carefully slot these back into place without catching and scrapping the foam pad away (I left one side with the non-sticky film still on so the unit can slide back into place while still padding the gap out) and just re-assemble just like you disassembled it.Hopefully this has sorted out your rattle, I'll be sure to give an update if it continues to rattle as there could be other areas that might cause a rattle!