Sign in to follow this  
Willtl

Strange reversing sensor issue

I had a dealer fitted reversing sensor which was fine when I picked up the car (had to make a quick stop at a garage as it was running on fumes) and when I got home from the dealership, but when I went to collect my daughter from her school drop off, putting the car in reverse just had a constant beep tone rather than actually warning me as I got nearer to things. When I got back home the car did the same thing.

When I go on a longer journey it works fine, but there seems to be a pattern that if I use the car for a short journey (say less than a mile), when I select reverse I get the continual tone. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I'm going to take it back to the dealership but I just want to check my theory on drive distance is correct first as this is likely to be the kind of issue that appears intermittent and difficult to fix as a result.

My sensor system does front and back and also has a bit of a mind of its own. I fitted it myself and purchased from China so no recourse is practical. It has a small screen indicating distances (accurate to the centimetre btw) and a beeper that can be switched off.  It has a 2 minute period when it stays active after selecting reverse and that is by design, but it occasionally the display lights up long after that.

The earth connection is to a gold plated point used by the reversing light so I think it is good. I have heard of small stray currents and wonder if they are getting in the system sometimes but I am no expert.  Is there some sort of filter thing that can be inserted somewhere to absorb it or something?  

If you come up with a solution at your dealer, please post.

Unfortunately the problem cannot be created on demand and happens quite rarely, although often enough to be an annoyance. I don't have a massive amount of confidence in the dealer so I can't see it being rectified unless I get to a point where the problem always happens.