Sign in to follow this  

I need a small favour please

I wonder if someone on here could do me a small favour please...

If you have a pretty good oil pressure gauge fitted to your '86, could you please jot down the hot oil pressures you see at idle, 2k, 4k, 6k and 7k revs.

I don't want to start a debate about low or high oil pressures or the need for coolers, I would just like a set of base figures for a stock car.

It would also be useful to me to know where the oil pressure gauge is connected to the engine and also what oil you are running please.

Here you are, Nige:

Idle - 27psi

2k - 55psi

4k - 88psi

6k - 88psi

7k - 88psi

This is with the engine up to normal operating temperature.  The oil pressure take off point is the oil gallery just below the oil filter - you can just see it in the picture below.  I use Millers CFW 0W30 NT Fully Synthetic oil.

">http://http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/Pitman01/media/SAM_0053_zps4518e168.jpg.html'>SAM_0053_zps4518e168.jpg

Thank you very much Dave.

I now have a benchmark to compare my rebuild to. It suddenly dawned on me, I didn't have a clue what my original pressures were doh!!

Looks like that Millers oil is bloody good stuff eh!!

Hi Nigel. I can't give you pressure readings from my car, but like Pitman, I also use Millers oil. I use the Nanodrive Racing Engine Oil CSF 0W30 NT (can be bought online from Fensport). I also use the TRD oil filter. My engine is standard apart from the Injen Short Ram air intake system, has done 17500 miles and has never given me any cause for concern. Toyota are happy to use this oil at standard service intervals (I supply) as it more than cover's the requirements for the engine.

Good luck with your rebuild

Cheers