Twigman

OEMAUDIO+ CF400Reference install blog

I dont see the logic, ditch the instructions... They are clearly American!

Run it through the grommet by the battery.

No they are RHD - it states run through the grommet by the master cylinder  - ( there is a protuberance on this grommet that looks like it should be a wire feed but is capped at the end - the instructions say to cut the end off this and then seal it with silicone after running the cable through) and then across the top of the firewall under the windscreen wiper cowl to the battery

The loom is designed to do this as the power wires split from the rest of the loom in the driver's footwell.

the instructions have photos showing the routing

Twigman I'd be using a small craft knife, carefully!! I've used a Philips screwdriver after an incision is made to make sure it was through and wide enough again slow, checking both sides, I did have mrsforge to help with the gromet so we didn't damage cables she was in the cabin as we broke through :)

The probelm I have is that the access is appalling.

There a re a couple of pipes on our cars that are not in the instruction photos which make access to the grommet incredibly restricted and with the thing being rubber (obviously) and incredibly flexible there is nothing to get any purchase against.

Please make it stop raining - I need to finish my car......

And if anyone has any bright ideas re the grommet, I have beer in the fridge

Just been out to have a look I see what you mean that is in a bad place not only that you don't want to dismount the grommet from the firewall like I did on the other side as there isn't an easy way to get to it, do you have an old coat hanger, put a little electrical tape on and poke it from the engine side next to the big cable and see if space is there if so one through attached the yellow cable to the end that was poked through and pull back, other option would be to cut the end off the protruding bit they is a lap of faith as no guarantee it's hollow :) oh and IANAM (I am not a mechanic)

If it were me and it's just for power I'd buy more cable and run it from the other side where there is more access and it's easier to deal with.  :)

Oh it's hollow alright.

I just now managed to poke a braddle through from the inside and the point came out of the end of the protuding tubey bit but the hole won't be large enough to get the wires through....I tried with a screwdriver but there's not enough clearance to get a screwdriver straight (all my handles are too long). I have tried cutting the end off the tubey bit but I can't get at it at an appropriate angle due to all the pipework in the way.

I can't poke through from the outside with something like a coat hanger because the tube is very flexible and squishy and there's not enough access to hold it while poking it.

You can tell I'm not a mechanic, can't you?

but it's raining again so i've come in.

Next I think I am going to lube up the wires and see if I can force them through the hole made by the braddle.

SUCCESS

OK so what I did.

I cut a straight length of old coat hanger about 6 1/2" long.

To this I taped some old kite string.

I twisted the 2 yellow wires together then firmly secured the kite string to the wires and wrapped the join in insulating tape so that it tapered to the kite string. I lubed the wire to kite string join with fairy liquid.

I then poked the coat hanger bit through the tube from the inside, through the hole previously made by the braddle.

I then pulled the whole lot through from the engine bay and BINGO the 2 yellow wires easily slipped through the grommet!!!

I AM SO RELIEVED

I also feel something of a numpty as in the end it was a piece of piss!

Now lets get this bastard job finished!

Rain stopped play again....

I have power and all the interior trim back on and I have tried it but not changed the door speakers yet.

I got the door card off but can I unplug the connection to the existing speaker? Not a chance and yes I do realise you have to poke the locking tab in at the end of the plug to release it from the socket.......20 minutes and raw fingers and everything getting wet.

I decided to call it a day....so the door card is only loosely fitted to the door and the appropriate tools are on the driver's seat as a reminder that it's not all done yet.....I did give it a try with the new tweeters and the sub but I imagine the door drivers are necessary for full effect.

The sub seems very boomy and is very much in the sub 100Hz range.....I did try with an old rave favourite Dance Tones and it was like goping back to the early 90s dumph dumph cars (only i will know what I'm on about).....anyway I justr wish this rain would sod off and Toyobaru electrical connectors wouldn't be so damned obstinate.....

Yes the connectors are a PITA to get off, I struggle with the windows and mirrors connectors, you've been unlucky with the weather been dry here (north west) all day.

It's good to hear that it's not only me.....

I left the windows and mirror connectors connected as there is enough space to get a short screwdriver in to remove the speaker. I'm not going to unplug anything I don't have to.

Awesome stuff Ian, but I don't recall the connectors being a PITA, I managed to take off both door cards completely without any issues......maybe I was just lucky.  Days like these that I wished I had a massive garage that I could work in out of the pouring rain etc.  My work place used to have a open bay/workshop that people could drive a car into to tinker out of the rain but another company has officially taken the space to setup a show room for all their POS display units and stuff   :(   Luckily, if I really needed somewhere to work, I've only just realised that this place is also in Coventry - http://www.rampandwrench.co.uk/main/cars - the video on the site is the section from Fifth Gear where Jonny talks about self servicing your car.