Willson777

Replacement Head Unit Which/Installation?

HI everyone,

Been a while since I've done any DIY to my car and I've wanted to replace the head unit for a while now. Not necessarily for EQ purposes but primarily for Apple Car Play connectivity.

So I took the current touch and go out and was greeted with the following photos below. Most tutorials online / youtube seem to be for BRZ etc which often have slightly different radios or wiring around the back. 

Anyway - if anyone can help me with what's going to be necessary to keep/remove as I am certainly an amateur with this. I have labelled up the photos and I did manage to find a manual from a Yaris which matches the same model number of the touch & go system I have:

A1/A2 - No idea - Bridges itself to the unit.

B/C - 28/16 pin connectors, but my 16 pin one literally only utilises one wire? 

D/X/Q - All seem to be connected only to the unit as well (according to the manual, can't quite tell from my photos)

Z/Y - 10/6 pin - Any idea?

R - USB (Assume this connects to the USB output at the bottom of the center console then)

S - Bluetooth Mic?

So I was looking at the 'Pioneer SPH-DA160DAB Car Stereo' but I haven't done much in terms of research yet and am open to suggestions. 

Has anyone changed the head-unit and now how much of these wires are actually necessary. The connections on the back of the DA160 seem far fewer.

Would I be able to keep functionality of the Bluetooth MIC system? I'm also not bothered about rear parking camera connectivity

Obviously happy to get adapters etc and depending on the system, I don't mind a faceplate / surround too much.

Oh, and if anyone knows what the little connector hanging around at the back labelled '?2' is - it wasn't connected when I took the unit out.

Thanks 

Front.jpg

Leftside.jpg

Right.jpg

yaris 2 labelled.jpg

The easiest way (though also costs a few quid) is jumper looms, none of the wires match up colour wise! The wiring is common between the GT86 and the BRZ and it's the Toyota architecture.

If I recall you need three looms, an ISO loom, a USB loom (so your USB still works) and an antenna loom.SubaruISOHarness.thumb.JPG.a3930dee4f31cd5c898963bd5c189b0d.JPGSubaruAntennaHarness.thumb.JPG.a269fdba99be10ce3f42b1758c00e7d6.JPGSubaruUSBHarness.thumb.JPG.c81fab5c3327f2e8be7a4d734a55160e.JPG

2 hours ago, McDude said:

The easiest way (though also costs a few quid) is jumper looms, none of the wires match up colour wise! The wiring is common between the GT86 and the BRZ and it's the Toyota architecture.

If I recall you need three looms, an ISO loom, a USB loom (so your USB still works) and an antenna loom.SubaruISOHarness.thumb.JPG.a3930dee4f31cd5c898963bd5c189b0d.JPGSubaruAntennaHarness.thumb.JPG.a269fdba99be10ce3f42b1758c00e7d6.JPGSubaruUSBHarness.thumb.JPG.c81fab5c3327f2e8be7a4d734a55160e.JPG

Those are the only 3 that I'll need to get it working?

Seems far too straightforward haha

17 hours ago, McDude said:

I had to look up my old post to remind me of how I did it: Pioneer SPH-DA120 Install and Review - ICE/Electrical - Toyota GT86 and Subaru BRZ Drivers Club

Yes, just those connectors - was a piece of p1ss to install with those.

Perfect I'll give it a shot - Do you know if I will be able to use apple car play utilising the USB on the center console, or do I need to run the 'apple car play' usb cable by itself into the glovebox? 

That's what the USB lead is for - to make your centre console USB work with your headunit and allow CarPlay to function.

I've seen some run the USB to underneath the armrest (if you have one) which is a very neat solution as that is usually where your phone sits. The problem with the centre console is you always have the lead going across the gearstick.

I just relocated with adapter cable off back of headunit usb ports to inside of glovebox. Thought line goes like this, that anything plugged in clear sight (such as in usb ports in centre console) will extra motivate thieves to break in. And constant plugging in/out whenever i leave car imho redundant hassle.