Sign in to follow this  
Gon

Suspension set up when fitting new wheels

Hello, I know this has probably been asked quite a few times but haven't found the answers I have been looking for so decided to post.

I have a 13 plate gt86, stock wheels and suspension. 

The car is my daily driver and I don't really plan to track it, however I am getting a turbo fitted within the next year.

My goal wheel/suspension set up is to have a flush fitment, little to no arch gap and deep concave wheels with low profile tyres. 

I plan on getting bigger wheels, either 18x9 or 18x9.5 and lowering the car on coilovers.

My first question is which coilovers would suit my needs best? I was looking at tein flex Z but people say tein flex A is better. Obviously since it is my daily I dont want to sacrifice comfort too much. I would prefer the flex Z as they are cheaper but if the flex As are that much better then I would be willing to get them.

Second question is do I need supporting mods with the coilovers? I was looking around and it seems people get new front drop links, rear LCA, camber plates etc. - all that stuff I have no clue about. I just know I would like minimum camber and a flush fitment.

Third question is which wheel offset and tyre size would be best for a flush fitment with 18x9 wheel, 18x9.5 wheel? 

Any help will be appreciated.

Hey bud,

I’m not that clued up anymore regarding the flush fitment your searching for, I had researched loads before I got my wheels but I can’t remember my findings! (I ended up with a set of 18x17.5 ET40 Rays Gram lights second hand from another member)

Not a flush fit, but not far off and provides an excellent drive.

Regarding the Flex A’s….. I’ve had mine on for about 2k now, and by all accounts they are fantastic. I use mine as a daily which gets some highly spirited drives and it is excellent at both. They are comfortable enough on the bumpy bits but planted perfectly on the corners. I replaced the drop links with WhiteLine adjustables as I’ve dropped it a fair way. (The factory links are really poor and will likely need to be cut of so even if your staying OEM you will probs need new ones anyway)

I also fitted a front strut brace post coilovers which also made a good amount of difference (although only for those highly spires drives!)

Good luck on your search, be sure to post pics.

Also keen to hear FI progress later down the line as I’m heading the same route next Sept…,

Hi Mac,

Thanks for the reply. I also researched a ton, as wheels/suspension is quite an expensive mod it only makes sense to do so.

That's good to hear about the Flex A's. Is there any reason you chose those in particular over other coilovers?

Ok so I will definitely get new front adjustable drop links, thanks.

Did you have to do anything extra to the rear as well? New rear drop links or lower control arms?

Sure, will post pics once I have got it done as well as the FI progress.

I opted for Tein as reviews were all pretty positive and they have been about for a long time. I also liked the option to adjust the stiffness which was ultimately why I went for the Flex A’s. 

With my tyre/wheel set up, I didn’t have to modify the rears at all, they fit just fine. 

Are you planning on fitting yourself?

Thanks Rich196. I think your set up looks good and it does give me a good idea. Did you have to get droplinks/LCA for them to fit properly?

Ok Mac I understand, thanks. I am leaning towards them due to all the positive reviews as well.

I wish I could fit everything myself but am not that technically competent lol

15 minutes ago, Gon said:

Thanks Rich196. I think your set up looks good and it does give me a good idea. Did you have to get droplinks/LCA for them to fit properly?

Ok Mac I understand, thanks. I am leaning towards them due to all the positive reviews as well.

I wish I could fit everything myself but am not that technically competent lol

I am on coilovers, not sure how low I am running but not that low. No drop links or LCA required. I have seen some talks of people going up to a 255/35/18 on a 9.5 et35, but I think you'll need to be running over 2 degrees of negative camber, that will require top mounts on the front and LCA's on the rear.

Ok that's good to know. Yeah 255/35/18 or 245 is actually the size I was looking to go so maybe I will require the top mounts and LCAs like you said.

Thanks for the info

On 2/12/2022 at 9:02 PM, Rich196 said:

I am on coilovers, not sure how low I am running but not that low. No drop links or LCA required. I have seen some talks of people going up to a 255/35/18 on a 9.5 et35, but I think you'll need to be running over 2 degrees of negative camber, that will require top mounts on the front and LCA's on the rear.

If you run a 245/35/18 on a 9.5 et35 I thought that by simply lowering the ride height you automatically gain enough camber for the wheels to sit comfortably inside the rear arch.

I have a friend who is running 8.5 et35 front with a 225/35/18 and on the rear 9.5 et35 with a 245/35/18 and does not have top mounts on the front or LCA’s on the rear, and his wheels sit inside his arches due to the natural camber due to lowering the ride height.