tomlee80

GR86 Is Coming and it won't be around long... Is it worth keeping the GT or cashing out now and reserving the GR?

Most of you know that due to EU safety regulations, the GR86 will only be for sale this year and in 2023 (Source: Why is the Toyota GR86 only on sale for two years? - Toyota UK Magazine. See the comments)

Currently, thanks to the heightened values of used cars, WeBuyAnyCar would pay £16605 for my 16 plate GT86 with a £13717.68 settlement figure from Toyota Finance. This would give me £2887.32 to play with if I were going to lay down a deposit on a GR. The high used car prices won't be around much longer I suspect as I work in the industry and new vehicle build times are slowly but surely turning a corner.

Thing is.  I don't want to enter an agreement where I'm paying more than £350 a month on the new GR (I'll be taking PCP).  I understand it will be cheaper than the Yaris GR.  Not sure whether to chop my GT86 in now, take roughly £3000 as a future holding deposit and make the plunge.  Or hold back..see if GR86's are going cheap in the next 12 months and do it then.  I suspect Toyota will be massively cautious with their allocation to the UK.  Thoughts?

P.S I work from home and my other half has a Yaris I can borrow for a couple of months to get about.

I think it depends a lot on what interest rate they are offering you. That will tell you what the repayment is going to be. If you pay back at the minimum rate and have a big balloon at the end you may get it under £300. 

I think reviews seem to be positive so far, though it's UK reviews that count. If they're really good, they won't be going cheap come June 2023. 

I don't expect it to quite go like the GR Yaris as its not a homologation special. Still at least you can get heated seats! ;)

This is the person who made the comments there :) on that Toyota Mag site.

Bottom line is simple, if you are buying it as an investment car, dont think of it that way. If you are buying it as a car to enjoy and keep for the next 10 yrs or so to enjoy the front engine rwd pure sports car ethos, then yes go for it. It is superior to the GT86 in nearly every way. 

Financially , like Lauren said, what deals will you get is a ?

Personally, having driven the manual BRZ for so long and getting frustrated with the local traffic, i am interested in the automatic but will only buy if it comes with the Subaru safety and convenience kit (now called Star by Toyota in their Canada launch) which has the auto emergency braking, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, remote car start and heating/air con start. So waiting for more info...

If they come to the UK as specced above ( which is the Canadian spec), for me , its a worthwhile upgrade as a comfortable GT car as am not after a track weapon. 

Personally I love my GT86.  A year ago I had no intention of swapping out now and was fully committed to paying it off and running it for plenty of years before casually changing for a GR when the prices were low on the used market.  However the time frame of this new one being available has me concerned that A) It will only be released in limited quantities and will increase in cost once the ban of the new GR86s comes in.  

Thanks for the advice all.  I'll probably stick with my little red for the time being rather than risk realising I have no chance of affording a new GR when they launch.