jimgreen83

Bilstein B8 & Eibach Pro (& other suspension options)

Is anyone running this combination? If you are, how do you find it comfort wise vs stock.

I was looking at importing a set of CSG Tein Flex A (next batch is April) but it has been suggested that a simpler Bilstein setup may be more suitable given my aim is to lower about 20mm and that I want a close to stock level of comfort. I have spent hours reading UK and US suspension posts and I am still undecided what route to take.

A Bilstein B6 combination with RCE Yellows seems popular in the US but Bilstein upped their prices after Christmas so you are now at £850 just for the B6 part.

That puts the B6/RCE Yellow combination above non-CSG Flex A (which seem to be the most popular) and Bilstein B14 coilovers.

A lot of people seem to have gone through multiple setups before being happy(/still not) with the ride. This then makes me think about just going for Ohlins now they have the 5k springs, hopefully fit and forget.

The car is going to be used for weekend fun, road trips and more North Weald and CATDT driver training days. I much prefer a comfortable ride, in my I30N I always have the suspension on its softest setting, and everything else bar the exhaust on its sportiest setting, then changing the exhaust noise to my mood.

I may do the odd trackday but never had any complaints about the stock suspension on previous trackdays so it really is for looks rather than performance, but not wanting to lose any of the latter.

Is anyone using the 5k spring Ohlins?

I''ve been running the Bilstein B12 pro kit (B8 dampers and Eibach pro springs) for the last 10k miles and think they're great. The ride is firmer than the OE setup but not to the point of being uncomfortable but the real difference is the damping is more controlled. From the factory i found the car could feel a bit bouncy on higher speed bumps and the Bilsteins remove that bounciness really well.

I was very happy with Tein Flex A. Ran them on the car with a 20mm drop and on a soft setting. Felt close to stock to me but with the option to firm them up if desired. They are off the car now so if you decide to look at Tein and are interested drop me a DM 👍

I'm running Bilstein B8 with H&R Super Sport springs and approximately 30mm drop.  The ride quality is superb on the motorway while still remaining quite firm, but it gets a bit jiggly around town although still the right side of a cheap coilover setup.  Handling is great, the BRZ corners flat and gives me great confidence when entering corners fast.  Road noise on 235/45 PS4 is acceptable.

I remember Eibach Pro-Kit springs being a bit softer than the H&Rs so should give a pretty good ride quality.

I am running the Ohlins SUSMP21 coilovers with 5kg springs all round. They came with 40/30kg springs upon purchase in 2019 which I found a little soft on track.  As for ride comfort, set at a anywhere from midway to soft settings will have them riding AND handling way better than stock.

Just be aware that the strut design makes fitting camber bolts nye on impossible, so to obtain any camber you are looking at top mounts.   I like many others have experienced the infamous Ohlins 'clonk' at low speeds over undulated road surfaces which is definitely related to the top mount to strut connection area https://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/forums/topic/8471-coilover-help-required/?tab=comments#comment-125547.

I spent a great deal of time and money diagnosing the issue and assuming I had purchased damaged goods, the dampers were tested by Ohlins. They got a clean bill of health, and the top mounts were replaced FOC. The noise vanished once the stock mounts were fitted to the Ohlins struts, so the top mounts are where the noise originates. Saying that I also had some lovely Raceseng top mounts which were also ‘clunky’ at low speeds combined with the Ohlins struts.

Obviously some NVH is to be expected on any coil over set up but the annoying noise I have experienced with these does cheapen the driving experience given that they are far more expensive than many other set ups which don’t suffer the same issue.

Saying all of that the actual damping that can be obtained for both Road & Track is an excellent compromise IMO.  

I forgot to add: one benefit of going with separate springs and dampers is that they fit like the OEM originals and you don't get any NVH or strange noises other than the extra road noise from the firmer damping.

On 5/23/2022 at 1:38 PM, Winterhalder said:

Jim - was your GT86 at Abbey two weeks ago? I had mine in for a Harrop SC fitting and tuning. Nice to see another one in white and in Chelmsford!

Sorry for the belated reply, that was me and seems like a long time ago now! I had quite a bit of work done and then took it to Snetterton the day I collected, it was a completely different car due to all the work completed. I opted for the Bilstein B8’s with Eibach Pro Kit, so thank you for the opinions above. The shocks cost a bit more than originally planned due to stock shortages but I am pleased with the ride. It seems slightly firmer but more controlled. I also used STi top mounts.

Other bits included the Rogue headers and tune, AP Racing front brake kit, shifter spring, brake stopper and TRD door catches.

How is the Harrop?

3D586C13-A458-4E33-8775-806810097816.jpeg

B6BC995D-2272-42E5-A11C-46FD4DCE010F.jpeg