Conscript

Wanted: OEM Leather Shift Knob (Black)

I gave the interior of my car a good clean last weekend, including giving the seats a well overdue proper scrub with leather cleaner. While I was there, I also decided to do the handbrake handle, the steering wheel and the leather gear knob with the same cleaner. I knew that the leather on my shift knob was a bit worn, but figured a clean wouldn't hurt - but it seems like I may have scrubbed it too aggressively (stop giggling at the back) and it seems to have actually taken the leather off in parts, leaving what feels like rubber underneath, which has also broken up a bit and feels quite rough.

It's not a big issue, but it's one of those things that will annoy me every time I get in the car. I was going to buy a new genuine replacement, but before I do, I figured I'd ask here, as I guess a lot of people might have switched to an aftermarket shift knob. Does anyone have an OEM black leather shift knob kicking about that they don't need and would be willing to sell? If so, please give me a shout :)

I have one from my MY2016 BRZ which I replaced with a new one I bought from Japan in September (cost £97.59 including shipping by the way). It's in good condition, the leather is a little shiny from use and there's a very small scratch on the silver ring around the gear pattern. Difficult to photograph.

Yours for £50 posted.

2022-01-05 15.28.10.jpg

Cheers Shad, but I think I might have sourced one with the red stitching, which is what I'm after ideally (that's what I currently have). To be honest, I thought they were all either black leather with red stitching, or red leather. Haven't seen one in plain black leather before. But thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind!

4 hours ago, Conscript said:

Cheers Shad, but I think I might have sourced one with the red stitching, which is what I'm after ideally (that's what I currently have). To be honest, I thought they were all either black leather with red stitching, or red leather. Haven't seen one in plain black leather before. But thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind!

No worries. The BRZ interior is a much more subtle and grown-up affair ;)

23 minutes ago, DuncanM said:

Replace with a Duracon SS, infinitely better, tasteful, and only 35 quid :)

If it looked stock I might consider it, but I prefer the feel of the round OEM one. And the Duracon is also much lighter, which can make the shift feel a bit notchy in my experience. 

9 hours ago, Conscript said:

If it looked stock I might consider it, but I prefer the feel of the round OEM one. And the Duracon is also much lighter, which can make the shift feel a bit notchy in my experience. 

My OEM one had an annoying squeak from the top cap, and although nice enough, I much prefer the Duracon. I was surprised at how much I like the Duracon more tbh, as I was only trying to get rid of the squeak!