Sign in to follow this  
motopokep

how to disconnect the ignition coil? (pic)

I'm doing a spark plug change on the 2017 Toyota 86 without jacking the engine.  On the passenger side,  (USA model) the outer (closer to front) ignition coil pulls out easily without having to disconnect the boot from the wire.   The problem is with the inner (closer to windshield) ignition coil.  There is no room to just pull it out, due to the rubber tube, it has to be disconnected and pulled forward.  Attached is the pic of the front coil with the connection.  I've never seen this kind of connection, it has this metal wire clip.  I don't want to break it.  Anyone know how to disconnect it without breaking? Do you pull up on the wire with pliers or a screwdriver?  Or do you push it in?  Thanks.

IMG_0281.JPG

Can you rotate the coil 90 degrees in the hole so the bolt hole flange part is out the way enough to pull off the connector?

I generally use mechanics pick tools to undo connectors.

2302709D-279F-4D63-B51F-3AF216E3778E.jpeg

I can't rotate it because it's connected and needs to be disconnected first.  That's photo depicts the one that I was able to remove without having to disconnect it.  My precise question is how to disconnect this particular type of connection. Do I pull on that wire or do I push it in to pull apart the wires from the coil?