Sign in to follow this  
imonw1

Engine Blown, What next?

Hi, bought a 2012 gt86 off of copart but didnt realise the engine was blown (Copart ad said engine started). 
After looking into it a bit more can see the O/S rocker cover has a hole in it. Managed to get in touch with the previous owner who said that Toyota gave him an initial quote and the damage they could visibly see without stripping anything was that a rocker shaft had detached and exited through the rocker cover. They believe maybe there is some sort of seizure in the top of the engine.

I dropped it off to a toyota dealer near me who looked into the car and saw that the engine wasnt even the original one! It had been replaced within the last year. As a result the 10 year / 100000 mile warranty which the car had was void. 

Now im just wondering what to do, paid 6k for the car cant seem to find any engines availiable on the internet. Does anyone know if its worth to take the engine apart and get it rebuilt and how much that would even approximatley cost? Feel like if I put the car back up for auction it wont even get 4k.

A full rebuild is around the £4K mark, if you only need the top half of an engine it might be cheaper.

Here's a couple of places / people that might be able to help you source an engine. They can be found from £2000 to £4000.

@Samwise has one for sale - see attached image.

Abbey Motorsport,

Fensport,

Tuning Developments,

Rogue Motorsport

Sam Nadeem - https://www.facebook.com/Saam27

Matt Baker - https://www.facebook.com/MBDevelopments1

sam.jpg

Given how much you paid for the car then it's definitely financially viable to have the engine replaced or rebuilt. A decent condition 2012 must be worth about double that.

Where did you get a 10 year warranty / 100000miles from it? It was never offered on the GT86. 

1 hour ago, Varelco said:

Where did you get a 10 year warranty / 100000miles from it? It was never offered on the GT86.

Possibly talking about the 1 year warranty you can get by having your car serviced by Toyota each year.

Toyota Relax can run up to 10years or 100,000 miles. - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty 

41 minutes ago, Varelco said:

Toyota's new Relax Warranty (in order to qualify just take a less than 10 yr old car in for a service)

also wondering how much its viable with the car being a Cat N, new engine + a low estimated labour cost possibly £4-5k added to the 6k purchase price is like 10-11k but I doubt i'd even get near that should I wish to sell the car in the future

I thought relax warranty applies only if you have had the car regularly serviced by Toyota and continue that journey. Any break from that and your warranty terminates. 

On buying a car from Copart it has always been touch and go. If you are replacing the engine, then do it for the enjoyment of owning a great car and not as a means to add value and then resell as you will not get much out of an accident car as the demand for any accident damaged car is very low and people will lowball offers.

If you were doing it for the money, cut your losses and sell the shell.

1 hour ago, BRZ-123 said:

I thought relax warranty applies only if you have had the car regularly serviced by Toyota and continue that journey. Any break from that and your warranty terminates. 

basically, you as long as you get it serviced at toyota no matter where you got it serviced before it'll have the warranty, but as you mentioned if you take it else where for the next service it'll essentially be void. So in essence just making sure your most recent service is at a toyota dealer will ensure Toyota Relax program remains active for your car.