Will Pettit

DAB radio upgrade

My advice would be to get yourself an aftermarket head unit.

The OE one from the earlier cars was a module that plugged in to the head unit and wasn't integrated at all. You could get the head unit from a later car, but it'll still be crap. If you're spending money on something there are plenty of options that will look and work far better, and won't break the bank.

(I'd also say that DAB is a bit rubbish, IME. Too many dead spots in the coverage so it drops out a lot)

Get a decent Android head unit that will let you stream any internet radio you like.

I have an older Eonon Android 9 that works well, the newer models run Android 10.  You can either use a SIM with dongle or do as I do and just tether your phone.

If you're interested, I have an aftermarket Pioneer headunit for sale. Supports DAB and was better than the OEM unit in every way - I'm only selling it because I then switched to an Android Auto head unit. 

q

On 12/20/2021 at 6:35 PM, Conscript said:

If you're interested, I have an aftermarket Pioneer headunit for sale. Supports DAB and was better than the OEM unit in every way - I'm only selling it because I then switched to an Android Auto head unit. 

q

Out of curiosity, which android headunit? How much it ram it has, which android version, does it have physical knobs, what is audio quality?

14 hours ago, Church said:

Out of curiosity, which android headunit? How much it ram it has, which android version, does it have physical knobs, what is audio quality?

It wasn't an "Android" head unit per sé (as in, running an Android OS), it was a Kenwood unit which supported AA - Kenwood DMX8020DABS: https://www.kenwood.eu/car/navigation_multimedia/multimedia/DMX8020DABS/ << that should give you all the specs :)

I don't have it anymore...sold it (and the car) last year. But the audio quality was good, much better than the stock unit (although I did also have the Focal speakers as well). It was a great unit - it did have physical buttons (although push buttons for volume, instead of a rotary knob, which would have been better).