BRZ-123

Squeaky clutch, help needed

I have a very squeaky clutch which makes a noise at all times , engine off , on , while driving , while parked, every situation.

My MOT guy assumed it was the clutch spring and greased it. The problem did not go away. He then opened the bonnet and asked me to depress the clutch

The noise is loud and coming from the slave cylinder or such area under bonnet.

Any advise to what the solution could be?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Yup, it's the clutch fork. All you need to do is put some grease on the pivot point,  just inside the bell housing. Bit fiddly, but not difficult.

1. Unbolt and remove the passenger side strut brace (just to give you better access).

2. Undo the two bolts holding the slave cylinder to the bell housing, and just move it out of the way so it's not pushing on the fork (no need to undo the hydraulic line).

3. Gently slide the rubber boot off the top of the clutch fork. You should now be able to reach a finger in behind the fork and feel for the pivot point. You'll have to work by feel, but should be able to reach it. 

4. Once you know where the pivot point is, get a dollop of grease on your finger and apply it to the pivot point. I used red rubber grease as its nice and tacky.  Work it in as best you can.  Wiggle the fork back and forth a bit to help. 

5. Once done, replace the rubber boot over the fork and reseat it properly on the bell housing. Reattach the slave cylinder, and then the strut brace and you're done. Work the clutch a few times to work the grease in and confirm the fix. 

I did this a few months ago and it got rid of that god awful creaking. Some say you need to repeat the process regularly, but so far the noise hasn't returned.

Thank you. Glad it's not yet the Clutch Release Bearing / TOB as I am always worried about a catastrophic failure and being stranded on a motorway/ busy road!

Thank you for the detailed instructions Conscript. Time to get hands dirty and elbows greasy!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

It's easy enough to do, if a little fiddly. You can remove the slave to make things easier but don't have to. Just pull the small rubber boot over and slather grease inside the top of the gearbox on the fork. You'll be able to feel it, but it is a bit of a faff.

4 hours ago, 86iain said:

I grease mine a couple of times a year. The noise comes back but hey ho.

I think I did mine about 6 months ago in the summer and it's been fine since then, but I will keep an ear out - I imagine now it's cold and damp, it may start to reappear.

Oh, one more thing BRZ - when you reattach the strut brace, be careful not to over-torque the nuts and the bolt. They have some ridiculously low torque setting, and if you overdo it and strip a stud, you're ****ed as they are welded into the panels. I just do them up as much as I can by hand then just a nip more with a socket.