Sign in to follow this  
WB_86

Washer jet problem

My driver's side washer jet has decided it no longer wants to wash the driver's side of the screen but is instead squirting into the middle of the screen.

There doesn't seem to be any adjustment in the washer jet itself nor does there seem to be any kind of blockage in the jet.

Passenger side washer jet is still working normally so I'm thinking the problem is either the driver's side washer jet itself or there's an air/lock or blockage in the tubing/check valve or something's come adrift somewhere between passenger and driver's side jets.

Anyone had similar symptoms before?

Also, does anyone know how to access the washer tubing and valves? It looks like the wiper arms and cowl panel have to come off to get at them. If anyone's had the cowl off before, is it worth buying replacement cowl trim clips (seems to be a round and a square type) before I start?

Do you have a pressure washer? First thing I'd try is blasting the nozzle from the outside in case it's a piece of grit or crud or something just inside it, as that sounds like the most likely way that flow would be affected. 

Also, you could maybe try filling the washer bottle with hot water and flusing that through. I've sometimes found certain screenwashes can leave congealed residue in the plumbing if used in too high a concentration, which might lead to blockages, and sometimes hot water and soften and clean it. 

Not sure if it will help, but they're simple things to try before pulling the cowling apart.

I'll give it a go with the pressure washer but am as sure as I can be that there's nothing inside the jet as I've already tried cleaning it out with a small detailing brush and a pin.

Hot water's not a bad shout, it might shift any grot that's stuck in the pipes.

Vinegar to shift any scale build up would be worth a go too but don't fancy smelling like a chip shop for the next few weeks/months.

The pump must be ok as the headlights and passenger jets are all fine, so whatever the problem is must be something to do with the 3 way check valve or the driver's side pipe or jet (all of which need the cowl taken off to get a proper look at them).  

19 minutes ago, WB_86 said:

Vinegar to shift any scale build up would be worth a go too but don't fancy smelling like a chip shop for the next few weeks/months.

Try lemon juice instead of vinegar. I pour some in my kettle every couple of weeks - seems just as effective at removing limescale as vinegar, but with a better smell.