Sign in to follow this  
Sam

Oil Leak - Get it fixed by Steven Eagell or TD?

As the title says, I have a little leak coming from the front of the engine, and I do mean little as I don't need to top it up frequently at all (I assume it is the cam cover plate - the undertray is nicely black and there is some oil on the lower front of the engine block (can post pictures if it helps?)).

However I don't know if I should take advantage of my dealership warranty with Steven Eagell (ends in december) or as I am planning on taking it to Tuning Developments (also december, NA package) would it just be better to let them sort it out?

It would be the dealership in birmingham if that helps the decision making. I know dealerships can have a bit of a reputation especially Steven Eagell so if it wouldn't be too expensive to let TD take a look instead I would much prefer going that route to know it has been done properly.

Personally I would just ask TD to look at it. It would save me from the hassle of a dealer and if they don't fix it properly and it comes back, it could clash with TD doing the work anyway at which point they (dealers in general) IME, will point to the mods and let the responsibility slide from their shoulders.

If it's on the lower front, could it be the dipstick tube? Fairly common for the o-ring where it goes into the block to fail, but I'm pretty sure it's quick fix. Someone on the Facebook group posted about it recently, they supplied the o-ring part number and it takes just a few minutes to unbolt and pull off the dipstick tube to replace it. 

Regardless, personally if it's under warranty, that would be my first port of call, just in case it's not something simple.

I would see if you can determine where the leak is coming from before you commit to a decision. If its the dipstick tube its a cheap easy fix. If its the timing belt cover then its a big job. It wont be the cam cover plate as they are at the back of the engine.

Thanks everyone for your responses, I really appreciate it!

I wish I could get an opinion on that specific dealership as thats the main point of concern for me, but I suppose with most of you erring on the side of caution it makes sense to give them a ring.

I will post the pictures in case it is obvious to anyone what the answer should be!

IMG_20210630_101725.jpg

IMG_20210630_101732.jpg

IMG_20210630_110634.jpg