Lauren

My GT86 Stolen- house burgled

Had a burglary at 0630 this morning. Obviously targeting my GR.

Fortunately my keys are well hidden upstairs. My other half's keys for the GT86 (my old car) were on the kitchen side. The thieving scum went through all the cupboards and draws downstairs having gained entry by snapping a lock on the French doors. Dog got up barked, then next thing I heard the GT86 start (it has as loud exhaust) and saw it speeding off up the road. image.gif

Had the police and forensics round, not got anything.

Obviously on the remote chance anyone hears anything do please let me know.

image.gif

C1E68BAE-BD7D-4139-8E7A-D56DB5ECF351_1_105_c.jpeg

FD5C459B-D6BE-432E-9217-0B916412C9F5_1_105_c.jpeg

Ouch. Never realised burglars are this daring at that time of morning to look around. He/ she/ they were clearly not just opportunistic thieves but clearly burglars.

It's happened to my friend before. The car was left abandoned 4 miles away from his place on a residential street.

This is the normal ploy , police said as after 2 weeks, police give a not found ( or something like that) certificate and insurance can pay out. So they don't drive it around till the case is hot.

So my suggestion is to go around your local area especially on unsuspecting residential streets or free parking spots and look for your car.
Best wishes for recovery

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear feels like an invasion of privacy. Some of my work colleagues got burgled previous said always made them feel on edge after. Burglars always go for the personal/sentimental stuff too like your car that has such great story behind it. Hopefully they will abandon it somewhere fingers crossed.

27 minutes ago, Joolz said:

Sorry to hear feels like an invasion of privacy. Some of my work colleagues got burgled previous said always made them feel on edge after. Burglars always go for the personal/sentimental stuff too like your car that has such great story behind it. Hopefully they will abandon it somewhere fingers crossed.

I saw on Twitter that it's been located but it sounds like there might be some damage. So gutting and if it has got some damage I hope it's not serious. What an horrendous experience.

Apologies for not updating this thread. Focus ended up being on social media which helped us find the car. My friend spotted it and I was with it in 6 hours of being stolen. 

Unfortunately they have ruined the engine which explains why it was abandoned on a slip road off the Princess Parkway by Mersey Bank estate Manchester. 

We got it recovered and had it home by 5.30pm on Saturday. Mark is now going through the insurance. Insured through Greenlight btw. 

Can't see any other way than it being written off with the engine gone and needing a lock set. We did get Richard at RRG to price up for a new engine and lock set, which came in at £15K and even with an expected discount would not be viable. 

There is a possibility that Mark will buy it back from insurance but it will depend on what they pay out and how much they want for a buy back. In that event it will likely be broken for parts. :(

A sad end for the car. I've had to up the security on the GR and the house. Not cheap. 

18 hours ago, 86iain said:

****bags.

If they're happy rifling through someone's house while they're in bed you never know what they might have done had you caught them at it.

We are pretty much definite it was one burglar who came in. I expect if I had got up sooner they would have legged it. The most common response by far, the police said. The last thing they want is confrontation. What is properly scary is that it took us 10 minutes to get through on 999. 

With that in mind, various trophies and stuff are now positioned around the house, just in case. Not sure I'd be brave enough to clobber a burglar, but just in case we are. 

Mark won't be leaving his keys downstairs again. Fortunately I am far more careful with mine. 

Disklok fitted and Ghost being installed tomorrow. Obviously anti snap locks fitted by locksmith last Saturday. Will think about posts too. 

5 hours ago, Lauren said:

Unfortunately they have ruined the engine which explains why it was abandoned on a slip road off the Princess Parkway by Mersey Bank estate Manchester. 

Over-revving or sabotage?

6 hours ago, Lauren said:

Can't see any other way than it being written off with the engine gone and needing a lock set. We did get Richard at RRG to price up for a new engine and lock set, which came in at £15K and even with an expected discount would not be viable. 

There is a possibility that Mark will buy it back from insurance but it will depend on what they pay out and how much they want for a buy back. In that event it will likely be broken for parts. :(

It wouldn't be worth putting a brand new engine as the costs are always ridiculous, a second hand engine is definitely viable. I cannot see how the sums wouldn't add up, even if you bought it back and get it done outside of the insurance.

So pleased you got it back though, my worst fear would be finding it burnt out somewhere. Are Police forensics being done?

6 hours ago, MartinT said:

Over-revving or sabotage?

Both. They just smashed the crap out of it I expect, judging by how they launched it off my driveway.  Obviously annoyed they didn't get the car they came for, so ruined the GT. 

6 hours ago, Varelco said:

It wouldn't be worth putting a brand new engine as the costs are always ridiculous, a second hand engine is definitely viable. I cannot see how the sums wouldn't add up, even if you bought it back and get it done outside of the insurance.

So pleased you got it back though, my worst fear would be finding it burnt out somewhere. Are Police forensics being done?

Pretty much certain it'll be written off. Mark will not be able to afford it to insure it again after this, so it's game over for that car. It would have been easier if it was burnt out in all honesty. 

Nothing will happen until Mark has an anti-fraud interview on Friday. Guessing this is because it's stolen recovered. 

Police forensics were done on Saturday. Nothing found. 

5 hours ago, Lauren said:

Nothing will happen until Mark has an anti-fraud interview on Friday. Guessing this is because it's stolen recovered. 

Police forensics were done on Saturday. Nothing found. 

Really feel sorry for you both.

As if things are not bad enough. The Police find nothing and the criminals walk free to do the same again. You locate the car and it's Mark that get's interviewed for anti-fraud. Seems so often that the victim is the one that is treated like a criminal. 

Thank for the update. Sorry to hear they destroyed the engine and not great it affects your partners insurance. Insurance can hopefully give decent value and go from there. At least you still have the great memories you had with the car.

Here's a bit of an update on Lauren's old car after it was stolen last year, i wondered if some of you might like to know what happened after.

After we recovered it back home we began the process of claiming on the insurance which was through Greenlight and ERS / Brownsword (the underwriter)

I would say the whole process was extremely slow, it took weeks for an engineer to come out to it to simply agree with me the engine is toast and more weeks before  brownsword made an initial offer. Which was £7000 with an option to buy salvage for 30% of the payout. Initially i refused this as i fully believe it was worth more before the theft. ERS essentially ignored my arguments that it was probably worth the £9000 i had it insured for on the policy.

The other day i messaged them and 'gave in' and accepted the £7000 and took salvage, the matter is settled and the car is mine again after nearly three months!

Now it remains to do something with it, the initial thoughts are to see if it can be sold as a project car for someone in the community, we really would like to see it back on the road and track and not parted out for bits in some kind of slow death given our history with it.

Expect a post soon in the for sale section!