castroneves

scraping/squeaking noise pulling away - Suspension?

I have a strange noise coming from the rear when I pull away that I can't seem to find https://youtu.be/q4-GVsJShyg

To begin with I thought it sounded like a plastic scraping sound, but on the video it sounds a bit more like a squeak. I've cleared the boot out including the spare wheel surround to rule that out and can't find any loose trim. Only seems to do it when pulling away and can't seem to reproduce it under other circumstances (such as going over speed bumps)

Has anyone had anything similar?

What time stamp should we hear the noise?

How old is the car and are there any mods?

Try checking the exhaust or heat shields for rubbing.

Are the diff bushings done up tight?

Are the brake pads sticking at all?

Is the squeak from the seat belt socket?

I can’t really tell what the noise is so I’m just throwing some ideas out lol

Thanks for the reply KAS,

Noise is heard 0.04 to 0.05 (crank up the volume for best results :D, sounds a little bit like a bed spring)

Car is a 2018, completely stock. Can't entirely rule out the brakes sticking, but not getting any other symptoms to point to that.

I'm fairly sure it's coming right from the back/ back left corner.

Not your seat is it? My seat creaks a fair amount sometimes, and, like you say, it's exactly that kind of "bed spring" noise, and doesn't sound like it's coming from outside the car.

Another prime suspect would be the infamous clutch squeak, but it doesn't seem like you're changing gear in the video.

Does it happen every time you pull away? It seems to be when you're already on the move, is it at the same speed everytime?

So its not every time, it seems to vary between most times and sometimes. I can make it do it pretty reliably pulling away applying left hand lock (like at a T junction), and yeah seems to be broadly at the same speed (5 mph ish).

I /think/ the noise is coming from too far back to be the seats, but I'll keep this in mind when I go out later. 

Failing that I'll give spraying some grease on the bushings a go.

Thanks again for the suggestions :D

I can't hear anything in the clip.

It's not the brake wear indicators going off is it? There are little metal springs/clips that start to make a squeal as your pads start to wear down. I had this on my fronts and thought the PAS pump was failing as it was worse with lock applied.

Those spot welds on mine have separated on both sides but I thought that was because of my subwoofer

I’m surprised it’s making a noise when you’re pulling away tho, I can’t see why it would be under any load… glad you found it!

Hmm, think I have a similar noise, thought it was the rear parcel shelf, but could be this I’ll have to investigate. Thanks for posting your findings.

@Luke

Let me know how you get on, I think I may have jumped the gun on declaring a fix for this, as the noise has come back.

I got underneath to see if anything was amiss, and noticed a small amount of lateral play on the drive shaft on that side.(No such play on the other side) Not sure if that's possibly related, or even a separate issue in itself?