MangoNo5

Sell With or Without Mods

Hi All,

After a great 9 years, family circumstances have changed and I need a more practical car. The question is should I sell it with or without mods. All are in good condition and serviced.

What does everyone think?

Thanks In advance.

Chris

• HKS Supercharger V2 Kit
  • HKS Hybrid filter
  • Mishimoto Racing Thermostat
  • Ecutek remap
  • Upgraded Helix Clutch
  • Fidanza Flywheel
  • HKS 4-2-1 manifold
  • Milltek over pipe
  • Berk front pipe
  • HKS Legamax sports exhaust
  • Tein Flex- A coilovers
  • Tein Active EDFC setup
  • TWS forged T66- F 18x8.5 wheels
  • Cosworth AP 6pot Big brake kit
  • Conti 6  - 235 x 40 tyres
  • Mishimoto wheel nuts
  • Cusco front strut brace
  • Crystaleye head lights
  • Bonnet struts
  • HKS badge 5bhp ;)
  • Eon 10 inch Android head unit
  • Front and rear dash cam
  • Rear window brake light lowering mod (not yet installed)
  • Raceseng Ashiko gear knob and brushed metal red reverse lock and dials
  • Broadway wide mirror
Edited by MangoNo5
more details added

If you have all the oem parts, can remove all the mods and revert the car to standard then it’s probably best.

Selling a car with mods rarely gets you back the value of the mods on top of the value of the car. But at least there is a strong 2nd hand parts market for everything you can remove.

Quick math, says there is about £5K to £6K worth of mods there and the car stock is atleast worth £10K. So around £16K in total, ofcourse that on the assumption that you've kept all the stock parts and that you'd be removing and refitting everything. 

There are a couple of boosted cars for sale at the moment for around £13.5K, one of which is HKS supercharged and a couple of TD turbo cars.

Better price for "stock" car obviously. Another reason why i keep OE when upgrading anything to aftermarket and prefer reversible mods. One hardly will get even 1/4-1/3 of mod parts price, but car's price itself usually can be made noticeably higher.

I've been wondering the same, given that I might be interested in upgrading to the GR86 when it comes out....but my list of 'proper' mods is much smaller (basically manifold and tune).

That said, my car as quite a few "OEM+" mods that I would leave in place because it would be to much hassle to remove and I wouldn't gain much in selling them on....MTEC clutch/gearbox springs, Focal speakers, bonnet lifters, etc. I'm not sure if mentioning them in advertising would be good or not; they are technically mods, but pretty innocuous and all of them pretty much objective upgrades of existing parts. 

The problem with mods is that you need to find someone who values the exact mods you've done. Even in that case they will likely only give you a fraction of what you paid. If you can be bothered, put it back to OE spec and I think you'll get more for the car as it is then unmolested in the eyes of the buyer.

You've got some high value mods there that would sell pretty easily on their own.

When I trade mine in I'm just going to stick the original rear lights on and jack the coilovers up to what looks like a standard height.

I'll leave the exhaust, it's not that loud when hot. I can't be faffed with taking suspension and exhaust off, I'll only have them sitting in the garden for months while someone offers me 47p on Facebook for them.

On 10/4/2021 at 3:07 PM, MangoNo5 said:
  • HKS Supercharger V2 Kit
  • HKS Hybrid filter
  • Mishimoto Racing Thermostat
  • Ecutek remap
  • Upgraded Helix Clutch
  • Fidanza Flywheel
  • HKS 4-2-1 manifold
  • Milltek over pipe
  • Berk front pipe
  • HKS Legamax sports exhaust
  • Tein Flex- A coilovers
  • Tein Active EDFC setup
  • TWS forged T66- F 18x8.5 wheels
  • Cosworth AP 6pot Big brake kit
  • Conti 6  - 235 x 40 tyres
  • Mishimoto wheel nuts
  • Cusco front strut brace
  • Crystaleye head lights
  • Bonnet struts
  • HKS badge 5bhp ;)
  • Eon 10 inch Android head unit
  • Front and rear dash cam
  • Rear window brake light lowering mod (not yet installed)
  • Raceseng Ashiko gear knob and brushed metal red reverse lock and dials
  • Broadway wide mirror

Depending on price the HKS kit and the Cosworth brakes I would be interested in myself. If that helps

Yeah put back to stock especially if your doing yourself because there is no labour charges. Those parts are desirable so providing your happy to box up and ship you’ll have no problem selling. 

When I do sell my BRZ I won't be putting it back to stock. I haven't kept the original parts anyway, but to be honest I buy a car and use it for my daily commute so I'm getting maximum value from it. I don't expect to yield much value at the end and I never expect to recoup the cost of the mods. That isn't the point, I've already enjoyed their value.

It won't be for 3-4 years yet, when I retire.