Bigdawgmartin

Possible GT86/BRZ Newbie

Evening Everyone!

First post on here and hopefully not my last.

Im thinking of getting a GT86/BRZ for everyday use. 
Ive had older Subaru Imprezas and Foresters for years but looking for something more modern and Subaru based.

Thing is I’m 6’5 and stocky….before I even go out looking for any potential purchases, will I fit comfortably?

If so, any particular model years to go for or avoid?

Thanks for the help.

Welcome

Yes you’ll fit. The driver seat can be lowered and when its raked back a little you should be plenty comfortable.

Try to go as new as you can afford as there were loads of changes throughout the cars life.

Prefacelift cars ran from 2012 to 2016. Valve spring warranty recalls seem to affect cars up to early 2014.

Prefacelift 86 suspension is setup for more oversteer compared to the BRZ. When they facelifted the car in 2017 the suspension changed to match the BRZ’s more understeering bias setup.

In the rest of the world the facelift manuals got a tiny power bump (<5bhp) but UK cars didn’t get this.

Some colours were available during different years. So depending on which colour you want it may force you to a particular age. Core colours of white/black etc have always been available. Yellow (Giallo) for example was only available between late 2014/early 2015. Same goes for the TRD/Aero editions; they were not available during the entire life of the car (however they didn’t have any more power that the standard model anyway).

You'll fit alright. May be a bit tight with a helmet added on top.

There is also the part about getting in and out of the car, it's pretty low slung, but I've had people in their eighties and nineties getting in and out of the car unassisted so should be alright.

If you give an indication of where you're based, there may well be a forum member local to you willing to let you have a seat and a poke around at their car, without the pressure of involving a salesman/seller.

I'm 6'2" and there's still seat rail left over! So it's as good as any car in terms of room. There is no room for a rear seat passenger behind me when I'm driving though.

I have a Subaru and like Martin T, I like that it's a bit different even though it's fundamentally the same car. For me it was just that a BRZ was available at the right price/time etc. because I was looking at GT86s as well.

Good luck getting the BRZ out of the 15 or so GT86 I have seen only 2 were BRZ, think will be more expensive too. But if you do get one will be very rare on the road here. To echo above my Bro 6”4 and mange’s to fit in mine o.k.

I just gave my daily 05 Blobeye Impreza to my husband when I bought my 86 on Friday. I'm not quite as tall, only 5'10 and pretty curvy and I seem to fit fine. The Scoob is certainly more roomy, but the 86 is cosy and not uncomfortable. Good luck and happy shopping 😊