Jay

All four brake discs worn at 50000 miles

Today all four discs were replaced, after 50000 miles only. I'm aware that an automatic requires a little more braking, but I've been driving automatics for the past 23 years. The front discs of the Mercedes and three Lexus' lasted for over 70000 miles, while the rear disks easily lasted for 140000 miles.

Any thoughts on this?

Genuine Toyota? I personally found the same and suspect they are quite soft. So when they needed replacement I switched to Borg & Beck discs and they were a lot tougher. Did about 8k of hard track days on them before removing them to fit a bbk and they had no signs of lip on them at all.

Yes, genuine Toyota. I'm not racing the car, so let's see how long these last. I bought the car used with about 25k, so maybe the first owner was hard on the brakes...

And how many brake pads is that? I somehow assume that if you use a lot of brake disks you also use a lot of brake pads but that is merely intuition.

Also mileage by itself is not a good measure since it should be possible to do a lot of highways without any braking but if you drive calmly on backroads or in cities you have to brake a lot. If large mileage is achieved through a good mixture of environments then I guess it becomes more representative.

I did 125000 miles before replacing the disks. That is not double of original amount so maybe you can consider it the same ballpark.

1 hour ago, MovesWithClouds said:

And how many brake pads is that? I somehow assume that if you use a lot of brake disks you also use a lot of brake pads but that is merely intuition.

Also mileage by itself is not a good measure since it should be possible to do a lot of highways without any braking but if you drive calmly on backroads or in cities you have to brake a lot. If large mileage is achieved through a good mixture of environments then I guess it becomes more representative.

I did 125000 miles before replacing the disks. That is not double of original amount so maybe you can consider it the same ballpark.

I compared the mileage with my former cars, which I used in the same way. Commuting makes the majority of the distance. Due to Covid there was less traffic, so I had to brake less. One would expect a positive effect on disc wear. I bought the car with about 25k, so maybe the first user was hard on the brakes.

Regarding brake pads, I never had them swapped during my 25k miles.

I just did my fronts at 40k miles. If anything, lack of use over lockdown made things worse with the discs being rusty every time I used it.

I'd say 40k miles is low for a mass market car but high for a performance vehicle. As the parts are cheap I'm not complaining. I went for stock fit Brembo discs and pads and there is a big improvement to stopping and pedal feel.