Jay

Autobahn fun

Today I finally got to get a go at the German Autobahn with my 2017 GT86 with automatic gearbox. The weather conditions were rather good, with an air temperature of 20 deg. C, a blue sky and almost no wind. The speedometer read 234 km/h or 145.5 mph, which is above expectation.

The car is in stock condition, apart from the 225 PS4 tyres, which have a 1.4% larger circumference.

Remarkable is the noticeable extra power at high speed. I guess the air gets somewhat compressed when scooped in. The stability at those speeds is pretty good.

All in all a satisfying result. 😊

I have recorded 150mph on the speedo when on the autobahn, though that translates to 141.25mph on the sat nav GPS. Car was fine though it too a while to get those last few miles per hour. 

Twins can go even faster then that, but IIRC top speed was limited in ECU (more so in JDM one, to ~180kmh). I guess, engine & roadnoise at such speed was not exactly enjoyable? :)

As for stability .. it also greatly depends on alignment of suspension. If it's out of whack (especially toe), it may behave differently.