Jay Bamrah

Coilover question

Quick question,

where I live theirs a road that goes down hill and then has a trough bottom and goes up hill suddenly… I am scared if I get coil overs which lowers my car that I will scrape my front splitter at that trough point. My question is will coilovers making my suspension stiffer mean I won’t scrape my car because the car won’t rebound when I go from the point of driving down hill to up hill. The road is a 70mph road so a small scrape could destroy my front bumper etc so it’s a big deal breaker for if coilovers are for me where I live + I use this road daily.

if that makes sense 

Depends what front lip you have and how low you are looking at going. I had a maxton lip and only dropped 15/20mm and it caught on everything, to the point it eventually broke.

Hi Jay,

Coil-overs aren't a problem it is the lowering and that troughs sharpness. I had my Tein Flex-A lowered to 30mm to still me to go over speed bumps. You can stiffen the suspension to reduce the give, but it will make for a slightly more unpleasant ride.

I have the automatic EDFC system that stiffens when needed based on speed and g force.

You will still need to experiment to find out what works for you mate

Its one of those things that “you wont know until you try” unfortunately.

Unless the road is quiet enough that you are able to stop at the lowest point then get out and measure?

If at stock ride height you are 1/2 an inch from scraping then you know you cant do a 1 inch drop in ride height without contact occurring.

20 minutes ago, Leeky said:

Its one of those things that “you wont know until you try” unfortunately.

Unless the road is quiet enough that you are able to stop at the lowest point then get out and measure?

If at stock ride height you are 1/2 an inch from scraping then you know you cant do a 1 inch drop in ride height without contact occurring.

Good idea I might try this but yeah finding a time when the road is empty might be tough 

33 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Depends what front lip you have and how low you are looking at going. I had a maxton lip and only dropped 15/20mm and it caught on everything, to the point it eventually broke.

HT AUTOS front splitter.

To be honest I don’t know if coilovers are worth it as good ones are thousands + if I damage my front bumper that’s loads and I will be worried about driving to the point where I can’t just drive u know. 

59 minutes ago, Jay Bamrah said:

If anyone lives local the road is the a30 in basingstoke 

Ah yes. Im in Reading and used to commute to Farnborough, so would go over the A30 at Hartley Wintney every day.

The surface is very changeable and yeah pretty busy road even at night.

If anyone lives local the road is the a30 in basingstoke 
I know the A30 well, living in Basingstoke. I've had no problem with bottoming even though I'm lowered.

Sent from my Oppo X3 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Jay Bamrah said:

HT AUTOS front splitter.

To be honest I don’t know if coilovers are worth it as good ones are thousands + if I damage my front bumper that’s loads and I will be worried about driving to the point where I can’t just drive u know. 

Coilovers are defiantly worth it but you dont need to spend thousands. 

If you are just using the car as a daily then Tein do an Advance Street Z model which can be obtained for just under the £500 mark. They are an entry level coilover that is an upgrade from the oem suspension with the ability to adjust ride height and some very mild damper settings. I have been running them on mine for just over a year now and I am more than happy with the results. I didnt want to go with the lowering spring option and I also couldnt justify the cost of the higher priced coilovers as I would never use all the adjustment features that they come with based on the amount of miles I do per year. Plus I never plan on tracking the car so the Advance Z'S ticked the boxes for me

The lip looks the same drop as the maxton lip so if you do lower it, personally you wont be able to drop it more than 20mm otherwise it will catch. Even at a 15mm drop I had issues with steep inclines and some of the more higher of the speed bumps. The HT autos is suppose to be abit more forgiving than the maxton one ,as that one does become brittle over time, which is why when mine eventually broke I swapped it for something that doesnt mount so low under the bumper.