DuncanM

Tomei Duracon Shift Knob Type-SS

A simple enough modification, and inexpensive at £35, I have swapped out the standard shift knob for a Tomei SS, and I bloody love it. 

If it cost twice as much I'd still consider it good value, it's made changing gear a much nicer experience, looks tasteful, and has got rid of an annoying squeak the standard one had. 

10/10 - would recommend :)

IMG_20210915_114824.jpg

I am here after seeing your response to my other thread where I'm looking for an OEM replacement, and Googling "GT86 Duracon SS" out of curiosity :D

Do they do one with the shift pattern on the top rather than the Tomei logo?

12 hours ago, Conscript said:

I am here after seeing your response to my other thread where I'm looking for an OEM replacement, and Googling "GT86 Duracon SS" out of curiosity :D

Do they do one with the shift pattern on the top rather than the Tomei logo?

No I don't think so, but you get a sticker with the shift gate numbers :)

The shift is so much nicer, I totally get you want oem look, but this is as subtle as a shifter gets, and feels a million times better than oem imo. 

I was surprised at just how much I prefer it! 

I am tempted to try it for the price. I know it sounds silly, but I am just rather partial to keeping things looking as standard as possible, so would rather have a shift gate sticker on the top rather than the aftermarket logo. However it seems like you can buy generic stickers online, and the Tomei logo is removable, so maybe I could try sourcing a more standard looking replacement. 

22 minutes ago, 86iain said:

I've got one of these, had it a couple of years. I've now got the OE all black one.

I much prefer the Tomei, looks and to use. I totally understand the desire to stick to an oem look though :)

So I ended up ordering one of these last week, just to give it a try. It's exceptionally well made, and being lighter, it did make the gear stick feel 'snappier'.

However, I couldn't get on with the shape - I tend to rest my palm on the top when shifting, but because it was almost totally cylindrical and flat-topped with a very smooth finish, I felt like it didn't give me me much purchase. I think I'm happier with a ball-shaped shifter, like the OEM one, as I feel a bit more secure grasping it (snigger). I think the Duracon one would have been fine maybe with just a bit of knurling around the circumference, but after a day or so, I went back to the OEM one. No big loss - I made sure not to stick the logo on, so I was able to repackage it and send it back for a full refund. It's funny how subjective stuff like this is.